Siebel Installation Guide for UNIX > Installing Siebel Enterprise Server Components and the Siebel Web Server Extension >
Installing Siebel Enterprise Server Components
This topic provides instructions for installing the Siebel Enterprise Server components, using the GUI installation method, as part of standard Siebel Business Applications deployment.
If you are installing from a remote computer, or using X-connectivity software to access a UNIX computer from a Windows computer, then see also Installing Siebel Business Applications from a Remote Server Computer.
The Siebel Enterprise Server installer verifies that you have the required software at the necessary version levels for installing the Siebel Business Applications software.
NOTE: The following procedure is for installing a new installation of the base release, Siebel Business Applications version 22.214.171.124 or later, using the Siebel Fix Pack installer. For information about installing a maintenance release onto an existing installation of the base release, using a Siebel Fix Pack installer, see the applicable Siebel Maintenance Release Guide on My Oracle Support, 880452.1 (Article ID). See also About Installing Siebel Maintenance Releases.
This task is a step in:
To install Siebel Enterprise Server modules
- Review About Installing Siebel Business Applications.
- Stop any active Siebel Server processes. If you previously installed the Siebel Gateway Name Server on this computer, and are now installing the Siebel Server, then do not stop the Siebel Gateway Name Server process. (The Siebel Gateway Name Server must be running on the computer where you installed it.)
- (AIX only) Before installing, verify that the login ID performing installation has permission to run
slibclean by asking the administrator to change the permission as follows:
chmod 6555 /usr/sbin/slibclean
- (AIX only) Execute the following command:
- Log on to the server, using the Siebel service owner account that you recorded in the copy that you made earlier of the worksheet in Siebel Deployment Planning Worksheet.
- Open a new shell, and navigate to the Siebel image location for the current software version. Then navigate to the directory where the installer is located. For example, for Oracle Solaris, navigate to
In this path, Siebel_Image is the directory for your version-specific Siebel network image, such as
- Verify the permissions to the directory into which you will install the module. You must have write and execute permission.
- To start the Siebel Enterprise Server installer, enter the following command:
./runInstaller -oneclick -jreLoc
jre_location is the full path of the installed Java Runtime Environment (JRE) software. On AIX, you must use the -jreLoc option. It is not required on other operating systems. For more information about the JRE requirements for AIX, see Requirements Specific to UNIX or Linux Operating Systems.
inventory_location is the full path of the oraInst.loc file (for example,
/export/home/oraInst.loc), which points to the OUI inventory location. Use the -invPtrLoc option if you want to specify an inventory pointer file other than the default.
Optionally, for unattended installation, you can append the flags described in Installing Siebel Enterprise Server Components and Siebel Web Server Extension in Unattended Mode.
The Welcome screen appears for the Siebel maintenance release installer.
- Take the action appropriate to the task that you are performing. Do one of the following:
- To perform a new installation where no existing installation of the same version is present, click Next. Go to Step 10.
- To install the Siebel Fix Pack release, version 126.96.36.199 or later, into an existing installation of version 8.1.1 or 8.1.1.x, see the applicable Siebel Maintenance Release Guide on My Oracle Support, 880452.1 (Article ID).
- In the Installation Details and Progress screen, click Install to proceed with installing the base release.
- In the welcome screen for Siebel Enterprise Server, click Next.
The Select Oracle Home and Oracle Location screen appears.
- Enter a name for your installation, and specify the installation location, and then click Next. (Note the installation name and location for future reference.) Note the following:
- Choose the Siebel Enterprise Server modules that you want to install. Choose one or more of the following options, and click Next:
- Gateway Name Server
- Siebel Server
- Database Configuration Utilities
- EAI Connector
Install all of the Siebel Enterprise Server components that you might need on this server computer. You cannot add components later.
You can install the Database Configuration Utilities only with a Siebel Server. In other words, you cannot install Database Configuration Utilities unless you are also installing Siebel Server.
For more information about different ways of deploying Siebel Enterprise Server modules, see Installation and Configuration Methods by Deployment Type.
The Select Languages screen appears. All of the languages that were included in the Siebel network image are available for selection.
- Select the languages that you want to install, and click Next. You must select at least one language in order to proceed.
You install languages in order to run applications using these languages. The first language that you install serves as the primary (base) language, in which your server messages and log files will display. If you install multiple languages, then when you configure the Siebel Server you can specify which installed languages to deploy and which installed language is the primary language.
For more information about installing and deploying languages, see:
- For the current release, leave this screen blank and click Next.
Oracle Configuration Manager software is installed on the target computer if it was not previously installed. For more information, see About Oracle Configuration Manager.
The Product-Specific Prerequisite Checks screen appears.
- Before proceeding, review the installation requirements for the Siebel Enterprise Server modules that you are installing.
If one or more installation requirements have not been met, then correct any missing requirements. (You might have to exit the installer, satisfy the requirements, and then restart the installation process.) When you are ready to proceed, click Next.
The installer displays the location into which it will install the Siebel Enterprise Server. It also displays the disk space required for the software that you are installing.
- Review the information in the Summary screen. In particular, confirm that you have met all of the disk space requirements for installation. Click Install to begin installing the Siebel Enterprise Server software.
Siebel Enterprise Server software is installed into the directory specified in Step 12.
- Click Exit.
The Installation Details and Progress screen appears. Additional files are installed, as shown in this screen. Wait until you see the message indicating that the installation was successful.
- When all of the files have been installed, click Exit.
The Siebel Enterprise Server installation is now finished.
After installing the Siebel Enterprise Server software, you start the appropriate Configuration Wizard so that you can configure the components that you installed.