|C H A P T E R 1|
Setting Up the Sun Ultra 20 Workstation
This chapter includes information about the following topics:
Refer to the following document for safety information regarding the Sun Ultra 20 Workstation:
Use the following flowchart as a process tool to assist you with installation of the Sun Ultra 20 Workstation.
Carefully unpack all workstation components from the packing cartons. The following items are contained in the package.
An optional country accessory kit, which includes a power cable, keyboard, and a mouse, is packaged separately from the other items (if ordered).
[ D ]
[ D ]
FIGURE 1-5 illustrates the cable connections for the workstation.
Connect the workstation and external devices in this order:
1. Connect the workstation power cord to a grounded electrical outlet.
2. Connect the keyboard and mouse to the USB connectors on the back panel.
3. Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet connector on the Sun Ultra 20 Workstation, and connect the other end of the cable to an Ethernet RJ-45 jack.
4. Connect the monitor cable as follows:
Your graphics card may require a DVI cable to connect to your monitor. Systems with a NVS280 or NVS285 video card installed include a Dual DVI-I DMS-59 cable (both ends are digital); a VGA to DVI adapter is required to connect to analog monitors.
Note - The onboard video card is disabled by default when a graphics card is installed. To enable the onboard video card, follow the instructions in the Sun Ultra 20 Workstation User Guide, Appendix B.
5. Connect any additional external devices to the workstation's other connectors.
Tip - If you are installing optional internal components such as additional DIMMs, PCI cards, optical drives, or hard drives, install those components before you power on the workstation. If you are not installing optional components, you are ready to power on the workstation.
1. Turn on the power to the monitor and to all external devices.
2. Turn the power switch on the rear of the workstation to the On ( | ) position.
3. Press and release the workstation Power button on the front panel (see FIGURE 1-3).
4. After several seconds, verify that the platform power LED next to the Power button lights.
The platform power LED on the Power button lights after the workstation begins the internal booting process (see FIGURE 1-3).
5. If you are powering on the workstation for the first time, install the operating system or configure the preinstalled operating system after the system is finished booting.
1. Save your data and close any open applications.
2. Read all of the following power-off options before powering off the workstation:
In most cases, this powers down the operating system and then turns off the power to the workstation.
This initiates an orderly shutdown of the operating system and powers off the workstation.
This shuts down the power to the workstation but does not initiate an orderly shutdown of the system. This method could result in data loss.
If the preceding options fail to power off the workstation, see "Troubleshooting" in the Sun Ultra 20 Workstation User Guide, 819-2146, for more options.