Install the Motherboard Assembly
Before You Begin
Caution - This procedure requires that you handle components that are sensitive to static discharge. Static
discharges can cause the components to fail.
- Tilt the motherboard assembly to position it into the chassis.
When you install the motherboard, ensure that you position the board as far
forward in the chassis as possible.
- Position the motherboard so that its screw holes align with the chassis standoffs.
Figure 80 Installing the Motherboard Assembly (SPARC Enterprise T5120 Server)
- Using the green handle and the back edge of the motherboard tray, push
down firmly and equally while sliding the motherboard to the front of the
Tip - After installing the motherboard into the chassis, ensure that the motherboard is correctly
seated by gently lifting up on the handles. If the board moves upward,
then it is not correctly seated. Ensure that the motherboard tray sits flush
with the chassis floor. Also, check for binds and ensure that the bus
bar screw holes are correctly aligned with the bus bar at the front
of the motherboard.
- Tighten the captive screw that secures the motherboard to the front of its
tray in the chassis.
- Install the four No. 2 Phillips screws that secure the motherboard to the
Note - When you reinstall the motherboard, you must use the correct screws to attach
the motherboard to the bus bar.
- If you are installing a new motherboard, install the following components:
- All FB-DIMMs removed from the previous motherboard. Ensure that the FB-DIMM modules are installed
in the same memory configuration as they were in before.
See FB-DIMM Configuration Guidelines.
- SCC module. See SCC Module Overview.
- Connect the hard drive data cables. For cable routing instructions, see whichever of
the following topics apply:
- Install the air duct.
See Install the Air Duct..
- Reinstall the motherboard-to-power distribution board ribbon cable.
- Reinstall the PCIe and XUAI risers.
See Install a PCIe/XAUI Riser.
- Install the top cover.
See Install the Top Cover.
- Install the server into the rack.
See Reinstall the Server in the Rack.
- Attach the power cables.
See Connect Power Cords to the Server.
- Power on the server.
See Power On the Server Using the poweron Command or Power On the Server Using the Front Panel Power Button.