Install a Processor
Before You Begin
- Unpack the replacement processor and place it on an anti-static mat.
- Ensure that the two processor socket release levers are in the fully open
- Ensure that the processor pressure frame is in the fully open position .
- Press the button in the center of the tool to the down position
- Turn the tool upside down, grasp the processor by its edges and place
the processor (circuit side up) in the tool .
Ensure that the triangle on the corner of the processor aligns with the
triangle on the side of the processor removal/replacement tool .
- Press the tool release lever to release the center button and secure the
processor in the tool.
An audible click indicates that the processor is locked in place.
- Ensure that the processor is secure in the tool before rotating the tool.
- Rotate the tool, so the processor faces downward.
- Properly position the tool over the processor socket and lower it into place
Ensure that the notches on the sides of the processor align with the
keys on the socket, and the green triangle on the side of the
tool is aligned with the front left corner of the processor socket (when
viewing from the front of the server).
- Press the center button to release the processor .
Caution - Component damage. Do not press down on the processor. Irreparable damage to
the processor or motherboard might occur from excessive downward pressure. Do not forcibly
seat the processor into the socket. Excessive downward pressure might damage the socket pins.
- Remove the processor removal/replacement tool .
- Visually check the alignment of the processor in the socket .
When properly aligned, the processor sits flat in the processor socket and has
minimal side-to-side movement.
- Close the processor pressure frame cover .
- Lower the first retaining lever and secure it under the retaining clip .
- Lower the second retaining lever and secure it under the retaining clip .
This action secures the processor in the socket.
Install a Processor Heat Sink