Motherboard Assembly Replacement
Use this procedure to replace the motherboard assembly if the motherboard or the
disk backplane fails.
Note - If you replace a motherboard or a service processor and an incompatibility arises
between the hardware revision of the component and the firmware version of either
the SP or the BIOS, the best practice is to maintain compatibility with
the SP firmware. Therefore, update or downgrade the system firmware package to the
version compatible with the SP.
Before You Begin
For the location of components, see Replaceable Server Module Components.
- Before removing the server module, back up the SP configuration.
Refer to the Sun Blade X3-2B (formerly Sun Blade X6270 M3) Administration Guide.
- Prepare the server module for service.
See Preparing the Sun Blade X3-2B for Service .
- Insert a blade filler panel into the empty slot.
See Insert Server Module Filler Panels.
- Remove reusable components from the old server module motherboard.
Caution - Data loss and over-temperature condition. Label components before removal to ensure components are
returned to original slots.
- Perform the following component removal procedures, as required:
- Perform the following filler removal procedures, as required:
- Install the components on the replacement motherboard assembly.
- Perform the following component installation procedures, as required:
- Perform the following filler installation procedures, as required:
- Prepare the server module for operation.
See Returning Sun Blade X3-2B to Operation .
Note - Do not power on the server.
- Update the FRUID/serial number on the new motherboard.
See Update FRUID (Service Only).
- Restore SP configuration.