Using the Calendar to Enter Dates
You can enter a value directly into a date field using the DD-MON-YYYY format (i.e. 08-AUG-1996) or use the calendar to enter a value. When entering the date directly always enter the complete date. Entering the year as only two digits may cause the date to be stored incorrectly. For example, if you enter 08-AUG-96 as your date, it may be stored as 08-AUG-0096. If you are unsure of the date you should enter in a field, you can display the Calendar window to help you select a valid value. If your date field also supports time, you can also use the Calendar window to choose a valid time with the date.
Basic Business Needs
The Calendar lets you satisfy the following business needs:
- Represent dates and time graphically so that you can make a quick date and time selection without additional typing.
- Select only those dates or date ranges that are appropriate for the current field.
Using the Calendar Window
If you navigate to a date field that displays the <List> lamp on the status line, you can use the Calendar window, as shown in Figure 1 - 43, to help you enter a date.
Figure 1 - 43.
To choose a date in the Calendar window:
1. With the cursor in the field of interest, choose List of Values... from the Edit menu to display the Calendar window.
The date value that appears below the calendar is called the selected date. If the current field already contains a date, that date appears as the selected date, otherwise the selected date reflects a value determined by the current field or by the current system date.
2. To display the next or previous month, click on the right arrow or left arrow buttons in the upper left corner of the window, respectively. You can also press [Down arrow] or [Up arrow] on your keyboard to display the next or previous month.
The days of the displayed month appear with bold text, while the days of the previous and next months appear with light text.
3. To display the next or previous year, click on the right arrow or left arrow button in the upper right corner of the window, respectively. You can also press [Next Record] or [Previous Record] on your keyboard to display the next or previous year, respectively.
Suggestion: To quickly display the current month and year in the calendar, click on the month and year display located above the calendar.
4. Click on a date to choose a day.
The day you select appears in a box.
Attention: Disabled buttons that show dimmed text represent invalid days. You cannot choose an invalid day. Similarly, if a date field is display-only, you can display the Calendar window for the field, but you cannot change the date shown on the calendar. The Cancel button is only shown if you can change the date value.
5. Choose OK to accept the selected date and close the window. Choose Cancel if you want to close the window without choosing a date.
To choose a date and time in the Calendar window:
1. Follow steps 1 through 4 in the section above to choose a date. If the current field supports both date and time, the Calendar window also reveals additional time items as shown in Figure 1 - 44.
Figure 1 - 44.
2. Select the hour poplist icon to choose an hour between 1 and 12.
3. Select the minute poplist icon to choose a minute value. The minute poplist displays twelve values between 00 to 55 at 5 minute increments.
Attention: If a value already exists in the current date and time field when you display the Calendar window, and the minute value is not a 5 minute increment, then the minute poplist displays thirteen values to include the minute value displayed in the field.
For example, if the current field displays the time 13:16:00, then the minute poplist includes the twelve values from 00 to 55 at 5 minute increments plus the value 16.
5. Choose OK to accept the selected date and time and close the window. Choose Cancel if you want to close the window without choosing a date and time.