Customizing the Presentation of Data in a Folder
A folder block is a special block whose field and record layout you can customize. The following helps you distinguish a folder block from a regular block:
- An Open Folder button appears in the upper left corner of a folder block.
- An enabled Folder Tools button appears on the toolbar when your cursor is in a folder block.
You can customize a folder block to retrieve just a subset of records and display those records in a different layout. You can save your customizations as a folder which defines the layout of your fields and the query criteria used to retrieve your subset of records.
- An enabled Folder menu appears in the main menu bar when your cursor is in a folder block.
When you first install Oracle Applications and navigate to a folder block, what you see is the original default folder definition or a folder defined by your system administrator. You can modify this default folder definition and save your customizations to be the new default. You can distinguish a custom default folder definition from the original default folder definition because a custom default folder definition always displays its name next to the Open Folder button.
Attention: If your system administrator sets the profile option Flexview: Allow Customization to No, you cannot create or customize folders. The only item available from the Folder menu is Open, to open a predefined folder.
This section teaches you how to use folders to present the data you want and in particular, shows you how to:
Basic Business Needs
A folder block lets you satisfy the following basic customization needs:
- Display only those fields that are of interest to you.
- Instantly modify the width, sequence, and prompts of the fields you want to display.
- Display a subset of records based on your specific criteria.
- Display records in a specific order.
- Save your folder customizations for later use.
- Automatically query for a subset of records each time you open a specific folder.
- Keep your folder customizations private or make them public for others to access.
- Make your customizations the default layout for a folder block.