A project type is a primary classification for the projects your business manages. A project type provides controls on how Oracle Projects processes the projects, along with defaults for project setup. You can use the project type for reporting and for AutoAccounting. You must set up at least one project type to create projects in Oracle Projects. The project type provides the following information:
- General information, including the class of project of either Indirect, Capital, or Contract, and the default service type to use when creating tasks
- Starting status of a project
- Costing information for burdening cost
- Burden cost accounting parameters
- Budget controls for defaults and entry of budgets
- Asset capitalization information (for capital project types)
- Billing information, including defaults for billing cycle, billing schedules, and invoice formats (for contract project types)
- Distribution rules allowed for the project type (for contract project types)
- Billing assignments (for contract project types)
Default Starting Project Status
You must enter a Default Starting Project Status for each project type you create. The Default Starting Project Status is used as follows:
- When a project template is created, the Default Starting Project Status for the template's project type is used as the project template's status.
- When a project is created by copying an existing project or project template, the project status of the new project is the same as the current status of the existing project or project template, unless that project status is not a valid starting status. If the project status of the existing project or project template is not a valid starting status, then the new project is created with a status equal to the Default Starting Project Status of the project's Project Type.
Project Types in a Multi-Organization Environment
In a multi-organization environment, you must set up project types for each operating unit. It is possible to have the same project type names in multiple operating units. However, each project type has it own attributes to control project processing by operating unit.
Project Types Window Reference
Defining Project Types
Project Types for Fremont Corporation (Example Setup)