|C H A P T E R 7|
Installing Windows Server 2003
This chapter describes how to install the Windows Server 2003 operating system directly onto a Sun Fire X4100 or X4200 server using the Windows Server 2003 media.
Before beginning the operating system installation, make sure that the following requirements are met.
For all installation methods:
|Note - The complete Microsoft Windows operating system installation process is not documented in this section. This section documents only the steps that are specific for installing Windows Server 2003 on a Sun Fire X4100 or X4200 server.|
For requirements specific to the mass storage driver and Windows media delivery methods that you have chosen, see TABLE 7-1.
Connect the USB diskette drive to the rear of the server and insert the mass-storage device diskette into the diskette drive.
Follow these steps to install the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 software onto your Sun Fire X4000 series server.
|Caution - The Solaris Operating System is preinstalled on the Sun Fire X4100 and Sun Fire X4200 server boot disk. The Windows installation will format the boot disk and all data will be lost.|
1. Make sure that you have completed all of the requirements listed in Installation Requirements.
2. Power cycle the Sun Fire X4000 series server.
The BIOS POST process begins.
3. When the Press F8 for BBS POPUP prompt displays on the BIOS POST screen, press F8.
FIGURE 7-1 F8 Prompt
When the BIOS POST process is complete, the Boot Device menu displays.
FIGURE 7-2 Boot Device Menu
4. If you have selected the Windows Local installation method, insert the CD now.
5. Select CD-ROM from the Boot Device menu.
|Note - After you press Enter in Step 6, the next actions must be performed quickly. Read Step 7 and Step 8 before proceeding, so that you will know what to look for.|
6. Press Enter.
7. When prompted with Press any key to boot from CD, quickly press any key.
|Note - The prompt is displayed for five seconds and is easy to miss. If you miss the prompt, you will need to restart the system and go back to Step 3.|
During the early part of Windows Setup, the following message displays at the bottom of the screen:
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.
8. Press F6 to install mass-storage drivers.
|Note - The prompt is displayed for five seconds and is easy to miss. If you don’t press F6 while the prompt is being displayed, the screen allowing you to specify additional drivers is not displayed and the installation will fail. You will need to restart the system and go back to Step 3.|
A screen displays, prompting you to press S to specify additional devices.
FIGURE 7-3 Specify Additional Device Screen
9. Make sure that the mass storage drivers are accessible according to the mass storage driver installation method that you have selected.
10. Press S to specify additional devices.
A screen displays listing the available drivers.
FIGURE 7-4 Select SCSI Adapter Screen
11. Select the appropriate version of the LSI Logic Fusion-MPT SAS Driver, depending on the version of Windows you are installing (Server 2003 32-bit or Server 2003 AMD64), then press Enter.
A screen displays, confirming your selections and allowing you to select additional drivers.
FIGURE 7-5 Specify Additional Device Screen
12. If you are installing Windows using the Diskette Remote or the Diskette Image Delivery Method, press S; otherwise press Enter and proceed to Step 14.
A screen displays listing the available drivers.
FIGURE 7-6 Select SCSI Adapter Screen
13. Select the appropriate version of the AMI Virtual Diskette Driver, depending on the version of Windows you are installing (32-bit or AMD64), then press Enter.
Windows Setup will display the following screen, showing both the drivers you have selected.
FIGURE 7-7 Specify Additional Device Screen
14. Press Enter to continue.
The Welcome to Setup screen displays.
FIGURE 7-8 Welcome to Setup Screen
15. Press Enter to continue.
Windows Setup will continue and display the following screen, allowing you to select Express Setup or Custom Setup.
FIGURE 7-9 Select Setup Screen
|Note - If you plan to use hardware RAID on the system disk, you must select Custom Setup and manually partition the disk. Make sure to reserve a minimum of 64 MB of unpartitioned space at the end of the drive.|
16. Press Enter for Express Setup.
17. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the Windows Server 2003 Installation.
During installation, the system will reboot and the following message could appear.
FIGURE 7-10 Remove Disk Message
If this message displays, you will need to complete the following steps to complete the installation:
a. Do one of the following, depending on which mass storage driver delivery method you have selected:
b. Press any key to restart the system and complete Windows Server 2003 Installation.
18. Proceed to Updating the Critical System-Specific Drivers.