VMware vSphere Client
What is vSphere Client?
The vSphere Client is an application that enables management of a vSphere installation. The vSphere Client provides an administrator with access to the key functions of vSphere without the need to access a vSphere server directly.
Installing vSphere Client
After installing the vSphere Hypervisor onto your server, you can then install the vSphere Client onto your Microsoft Windows® machine. Installing the vSphere Client, includes:
- Downloading the vSphere Client from VMware
- Assigning a License to VMware vSphere Hypervisor
- Assigning the network time servers
- Adding additional virtual network
To install the vSphere Client:
Open your web
browser. Enter the IP address of the ESXi host which you configured in the
procedure, Configuring vSphere Hypervisor. (http://<ESXi host ip
address>) and press Enter. This accesses the web page to download the
vSphere Client to your Windows machine. For example,
A warning displays followed by a prompt allowing you to accept or reject the certificate.
- Press Enter to accept the certificate.
- Click Download vSphere Client.
- Navigate to the location on your PC where you downloaded the vSphere Client.
file to begin the installation. The file proceeds to extract the application
files and continues the installation process. The following screen displays.
Next. Select I agree
to the terms in the license agreement and click
Next. Continue the
installation by following all remaining instructions for installing the vSphere
Client. When the installation is complete, the following screen displays.
Finish to complete
the installation. The VMware vSphere Client icon appears on your PC desktop.
VMware vSphere Client icon. The following screen displays.
/ Name text box, enter the IP address or the domain name of the
ESXi host. For example:
IP address / Name: 172.30.58.164
name text box, enter the user name assigned to you by the system
administrator of the ESXi host. For example:
User name: root
Password text box,
enter the password assigned to you by the system administrator of the ESXi
host. For example:
Login. The following
Security Warning displays:
- Place a check mark in the box that indicates: Install this certificate and do not display any security warnings for <ip_address>. The IP address is the address of the ESXi host.
- Press Ignore. The VMware Evaluation Notice alert displays.
license to the ESXi host."
Note:vSphere 4 Hypervisor is licensed for 2 physical CPUs (free, never expires).
Getting the vSphere Hypervisor License
To get the VMware vSphere Hypervisor License:
Enter the following URL:
Register for a VMware account by clicking Register. Or if already
registered, enter your email address or VMware customer number, and password,
and click Sign In.
VMware sends the following message to the email address you specified during registration:
Thank you for creating a VMware account. To complete the registration process, please click the button below.
Open your email message from VMware and click the Activate Now
The VMware ‘s Enter Your Password screen displays.
In the Password text box, enter the password you specified when
registering with VMware and click Continue.
The "Account Activated" screen displays with the following message:
Success! Your account has been activated.
Copy and paste the following link into your browser:
In the box,
On how many physical servers do you plan to install VMware
vSphere Hypervisor?, enter the number of servers on which you are
installing the VMware vSphere Hypervisor.
Valid values are 1 - 999.
Place a check mark in the box,
I agree to the terms and conditions outlined in the VMware
vSphere Hypervisor End User License Agreement. and click
VMware sends you an email message for accessing your VMware ESXi License.
Open your email message from VMware and click
A VMware vSphere Hypervisor license string displays.
- Copy the VMware vSphere Hypervisor license key string.
Applying the VMware vSphere Hypervisor License
To apply the VMware vSphere Hypervisor license:
OK to close the
VMware Evaluation Notice window that displayed in Step 14. The following window
displays. The ESXi Host IP displays in the left column.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- In the left column, under the Software category, click Licensed Features.
In the upper right
corner of the window, click
Edit. The following
- Click the radio button Assign a new license to this host. and click Enter Key. A pop-up displays allowing you to enter the license key string.
- In the New License Key text box, paste the license key string you copied from Step 24. Or enter the license key string manually.