Add an Extract for Oracle Database
Extract is a process that runs agains the source data source connection and extracts, or captures, data. Learn to add an Extract for Oracle Database, OCI Autonomous Databases, Oracle Exadata, and Amazon RDS for Oracle technologies.
Before you begin
Before adding and running an Extract to capture data from the source, ensure that you complete the following:
- Oracle GoldenGate relies on the redo logs to
capture the data that it needs to replicate source transactions. Enable supplemental
logging on the source database for unidirectional replication, or both source and
target for bidirectional replication:
ALTER DATABASE ADD SUPPLEMENTAL LOG DATA
- Prepare the database for Oracle GoldenGate.
Adding transaction information
Enable table-level supplemental by adding TRANDATA. If schema-level supplemental logging is already enabled, you can skip this task.
For more information see, Configure logging properties.To add TRANDATA:
- Log in to the GoldenGate Deployment Console if you aren't already logged in.
- In the navigation menu, click Configuration.
- In the Administration Service tab, go to the Database tab, and then click the connect icon for the source database.
- Next to TRANDATA Information, click Add TRANDATA (plus icon).
- For Schema Name, enter the database schema name, and then click Submit.
Add an Extract
- In the OCI GoldenGate deployment console, ensure that you're on the Administration Service Overview page, and then click Add Extract (plus icon).
- On the Add Extract page, for Extract Type,
select one of the following, and then click Next.
- Integrated Extract
- Initial Load Extract
- On the Extract Options page, under Basic Information, complete the
fields as needed:
- For Process Name, enter a name for the Extract process, up to 8 characters.
- (Optional) For Description, enter a brief description to help you distinguish this process from others.
- For Intent, select the option that best describes the
purpose of this Extract:
- Unidirectional (default)
- High Availability
- Disaster Recovery
- For Begin, select the location in the redo or
transaction log where the Extract starts to capture data:
- Custom time
- For Trail Name, enter a two character name for the Trail file.
- (Optional) For Trail Subdirectory, set a custom location for the generated Trail file.
- (Optional) For Trail Size, set the max size for the generated trail file.
- For Remote, enable this option if the Extract trail is to be written directly to a remote Oracle GoldenGate installation.
- Under Source Database Credential, you can either create a new credential or select an existing Credential Domain and Alias for the source database.
- (Optional) Under Registration Information, complete the fields as
- For CSN, enter the Commit Sequence Number (CSN).
- For Share, choose the method to share the LogMiner data
- Automatic: allows the system to choose the method for sharing.
- None: doesn't share the dictionary.
- Extract: shares the LogMiner dictionary for this Extract.
- For Optimized, enable this option to optimize Extract registration.
- For Downstream Capture, enable this option to set up a downstream Extract for log mining.
- Under Downstream Mining, complete the following fields as needed:
- For Mining Credential Domain, enter the downstream mining database's domain name.
- For Mining Credential Alias, enter the downstream mining database's alias
- For No UserID, enable this option if there is no source database connection. If selected, then the ADG fetch options are enabled.
- For ADG Fetch Credential Domain, enter the ADG fetch database's domain name.
- For ADG Fetch Credential Alias, enter the ADG fetch database's alias.
- (Optional) Under Encryption Profile, enter the encryption profile description. The
Local Wallet profile is selected by default if an encryption profile wasn't created.
- Select the profile name from the dropdown. You can select the Local Wallet or a custom profile.
- Select the encryption profile from the dropdown.
- Specify the masterkey for the encryption profile.
- Under Managed Options, enable Critical to deployment
health to view Metrics on the Deployment Details page and Monitoring
dashboard in the Oracle Cloud console. Complete the other optional fields as
Note:Adding a profile and configuring Auto Start and Auto Restart options enables your deployment to restart automatically after a network disruption. See Configure managed processes to learn more.
- Click Next.
- On the Extract Parameters page, you can edit the parameter file in the text area to
list the table details to capture. For example:
Note:GoldenGate uses Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) by default. Use SETENV to override the default setting. For example:
setenv (TZ="US/Eastern") setenv (TZ="GMT+5")
Learn more about SETENV.
- Select Register Extract in the background to register the Extract in the background asynchronously.
- Click Create and Run to create and start the Extract. If you click Create, then you can manually start Extract later from the Administration Service Overview page.
Interested in learning more about the Extract process and capturing data? Refer to the following resources:
Add an Extract for Oracle Database
Copyright © 2022, Oracle and/or its affiliates.
For information about Oracle's commitment to accessibility, visit the Oracle Accessibility Program website at http://www.oracle.com/pls/topic/lookup?ctx=acc&id=docacc.
Access to Oracle Support
Oracle customers that have purchased support have access to electronic support through My Oracle Support. For information, visit http://www.oracle.com/pls/topic/lookup?ctx=acc&id=info or visit http://www.oracle.com/pls/topic/lookup?ctx=acc&id=trs if you are hearing impaired.