You can export from one or more viewpoints that are bound to a dimension in an external Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger application. You export to comma-delimited files, and you can specify connection information to upload the files to your Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger server. Nodes are exported starting with the top node of the node set. For example, a dimension can contain United States as a top node, with all of the states under it. However, if the node set's top node is Texas, only Texas and the nodes under it are exported. For tree viewpoints, nodes are exported starting with the top node of the hierarchy set.
It's a best practice to validate the viewpoints bound to the dimension prior to performing the export to ensure data integrity, see Understanding Validations and Constraints.
Use the Validate Before Export option to validate the viewpoint automatically when you export a dimension. See Managing Export Options.
Before you begin:
- To export, you need a minimum of Data Manager permission on the application or dimension.
- You can export a defined keyword instead of a null or blank value. See Managing Export Options.
- Nodes and hierarchical relationships are exported in the order they are in Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud. If you want nodes and hierarchical relationships to be exported in alphanumeric order, you can open the dimension's hierarchy set and clear Use Custom Order.
- Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger exports dates in the YYYY/MM/DD format. This format may differ from the date formats used by other application types.
- When you export dimensions, a ZIP file is created that contains the following CSV
(comma-delimited) files. (The import into Oracle Financials Cloud
General Ledger is case-sensitive).
GlSegmentValuesInterface.csvfile contains all the nodes in the dimension, as well as the properties for them and any global or context-sensitive descriptive flexfields that were added to the segment.
GlSegmentHierInterface.csvfile contains the parent-child structure for the individual trees (combinations of tree codes and tree version names) as well as the tree labels.
Note:If the dimension that you are exporting has a list type node set and does not have any trees registered, the
GlSegmentHierInterface.csvfile is not generated.
- When you export dimensions, the Data Source column in the generated
GlSegmentValuesInterface.csvfile is automatically populated with the keyword
EDMCS. This clears the values in all of the descriptive flexfield attribute columns for a value set being imported into Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger if another value is not already present in those columns.
Caution:Ensure that all descriptive flexfields that are used by a value set have been registered for the Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger application, and that data values have been defined for them in Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud to prevent clearing data unintentionally.
For more details, see How Segment Value and Hierarchy Import Data Is Processed in Implementing Enterprise Structures and General Ledger.
- If you entered valid connection information to an Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger server during registration, the ZIP file is uploaded to that server. You can import the file into your Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger application. See External Data Integration Services for Oracle Cloud in Oracle Financials Cloud Implementing Common Features for Financials and Project Portfolio Management.
- For Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger dimension exports to a connection only, you can configure export options to include additional post-export tasks that initiate the import and publishing processes in the external Financials Cloud environment and complete the synchronization of segment values and trees. See Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger Export Options.
After you export from Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud, note these restrictions when importing into your external Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger application:
- You cannot import a change on the Account Type of the natural account segment after it has been applied in the external General Ledger application.
- For the Summary Flag in all segments:
- You can import a change from Y to N, but this may require restructuring of hierarchies where the segment value has children
- You cannot import a change from N to Y. This change must be made in the external General Ledger application.
When exporting Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger dimensions from Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud to an application connection using the REST API (see Exporting Dimensions Use Cases in REST API for Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud Service), the Document ID of the zip file transferred to Oracle Financials Cloud is returned in the result for the Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud export job.
This document ID can then be passed to the ERP Integration Service API to import the zip file as segment values and hierarchies in Financials Cloud (see Create an inbound or outbound set of data in REST API for Oracle Financials Cloud). This eliminates an additional call to the Financials Cloud SOAP API to retrieve the Document ID for the EDM export file.
To export a dimension:
From Applications, find your application, then click , and then select Export.
In the left column, select the dimension to export.
Optional: In the Summary section, click the dimension name to modify the export options for the dimension in the inspector. See Inspecting Dimensions.
From Export Target, select File or Connection, and then do one of the following:
If you selected Connection, select a connection to export to, specify an export file name, and then click Export.
If you selected File, an export file name is generated. The default file name is Application Name_Dimension Name_Date, for example FCGL_Account_20200123.csv, and can be edited before running the export. Your browser settings define the download location. Accept or edit the default file name, and then click Export.
Note:The Connection option in Export Target is available only if you entered connection information to an Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger server during application registration.
Optional: After the export is complete, if there are validation errors in the export you can click the viewpoint name to open the viewpoint and resolve them. See Resolving Validation Issues. When you have finished resolving the validation issues, from the viewpoint window click Return to Export to return to the export screen.
You can also export dimensions using EPM Automate (see exportDimension in Working with EPM Automate for Oracle Enterprise Performance Management Cloud) or a REST API (see Exporting Dimensions in REST API for Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud Service).