Before you begin, at least one model must have been created.
To create a data grant:
- From the Home page, select Application, and then click the application name.
- From the Overview screen in Application, select Dimensions and Models, and then click the name of the dimension to which you want to assign the data grant.
- On the Dimension Overview for the selected dimension, under Default Access, check the default access setting for the baseline access for this dimension for all users because it may affect how you set the data grant:
If the default dimension access is set to None, you might need to allow permissions to Read in your data grant.
If the default dimension access is set to Read, you may need to restrict access to members in the dimension by setting the permissions to None.
Determining the default access ensures a common starting point for all users, easing construction of the data grant. If your company prefers a most restrictive environment, create no more than one data grant per dimension and ensure all None rows are at the bottom or lower rows of the data grant.
- From the dimension Overview tab, select Data Grants .
- Click to open a new data grant.
- Enter a name for the new data grant, and then click Access to set the permissions for the new data grant.
- Under Models, select at least one model that contains the dimension for which you want to set the data grant. The screen is activated when the model is selected.
- Click to select the dimension, and then click OK. The dimension name is displayed on the Permissions table.
- Under the dimension name (for example, Fiscal Calendar), click Select Members to display the Select Members dialog box.
- Under All Members, click the member name to expand the list of members to the required level.
- Click the function icon beside the required level of member to select the functions for the members to be included in the data grant. The selections are automatically moved to the Selections column. For a list of member functions, see Selecting Member Functions.
To redisplay any members, click the previous level in the navigation.
- Optional: On the Select Members dialog box, click Actions to select one or more display options for the dimension and its members:
Show Alias Instead of Name
Show Member Counts
- Click Close.
- Under Users, click Add to select the users and groups that you want to include in the data grant on the Select User dialog box.
- Optional: Under Users, click the number of users to view all selected users in a list, or add another user.
- Under Permission, click Select Permission to display the Permissions dialog box, and then select the appropriate permission for the selected users:
None – The selected user cannot view or modify the specified member for the dimension.
Read – The selected user can view, but not modify the specified member for the dimension.
Delete Permission – Click to remove the entire permission from the Permissions table.
- Optional: From the drop-down arrow beside each row in the data grant, select from the available options to perform other actions for permissions for the row:
Add Another Permission–Enables you to add another permission for the selected row, without re-entering the member details.
Move Up or Move Down–Moves the selected row up or down in the table rows. Because rows are evaluated from top to bottom to determine the data available to users and groups, you should be aware that any moves to the rows will affect the effective permissions.
Add Row–Use to add another row to the data grant.
Duplicate-Use to add another row with the same criteria to the data grant.
Delete-Use to delete the row for the data grant.
- After all rows for the selected data grant are added, click Save, and then Close.
- On the Data Grants tab , click .
The Validate operation checks the data grants to determine whether the member names used in the data grant are still valid. For example, if a member that was selected for a data grant is removed from a dimension, that data grant becomes invalid. If the data grant is not valid, an alert icon is displayed for the data grant and the data intersection row inside the data grant. Open the data grant to see the affected model, and correct the situation.
The Validate operation does not automatically change any data grants.
- From the list of users on the Data Grants Access tab , select the user or group that is assigned to this data grant, and verify that the assigned permissions are correct.
Although the data grant may be valid, it might not accurately represent the access that you intended to assign. Review all data grants for the selected user or group to refine the access and ensure only the authorized user or group can access the required data.