Adding third-party tracking to your emails
Adding third-party tracking codes to an email
You can add an external tracking code to an individual email. This allows you to capture email activity for a single email with your third-party provider. For example, this code could allow you to track email opens with a third-party provider. If you need to add tracking parameters to an email link, see Adding third-party tracking parameters to email links.
To add external tracking to an email:
- With your email open, choose an option:
Option Steps If you are using the Design Editor
- Click to open the Email Settings panel.
- Click Enable 3rd Party Tracking in the Tracking Settings section, and enter the tracking code in the field below.
When you send the email, Oracle Eloqua adds the code before the closing
If you are using the Source Editor
Paste the tracking code in the HTML pane. Refer to the provider documentation for recommendations on where to place the code. Typically, it is at the end of the email, before the closing
- Save your changes.
You can automatically add third-party tracking parameters to all your email links. To do this, you must update your email default settings.
Note: You must be an administrator to update email default settings.
For example, you can automatically add Google Analytics parameters to all email links so that you can track link activity outside of Oracle Eloqua. You could use this to add the following Google Analytics parameters to all your links:
- Campaign Source (
- Campaign Medium (
- Campaign Name (
To add third-party tracking parameters to email links:
- Navigate to Assets, and click Email Setup, then Email Defaults.
- Click the External Tracking check box and choose the analytics tool from the drop-down list. For example, Google Analytics.
- Click Advanced Options > Manage External Tracking.
- Review the configuration for the selected analytics tool.
For example, the default configuration for Google Analytics is
utm_campaign=<eloqua type="emailfield" syntax="elqWAEmailName" />&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua.
When you send an email, Oracle Eloqua adds the parameters to all links and resolves the email name parameter.
- If you need to add additional parameters or customize the configuration, click Copy As New and make your changes.
- After saving the configuration, send a test email to verify the changes.
Oracle Eloqua tracks and stores the following automatic engagement metrics separately from those generated by an actual email contact:
- Auto-opens and clicks by email scanning tools
- Apple email privacy auto-opens