Website and email activity tracking
Oracle Eloqua features allow for the tracking of website visitors and email activity. Use the information below to help understand the tracking features of Oracle Eloqua. Your organization can implement these features to meet your specific business and regulatory needs.
Strict mode tracking
Oracle Eloqua enables you to implement strict mode tracking. Strict mode allows you to present visitors to your web site the option to opt-in to Oracle Eloqua tracking. You can implement strict mode in the following ways:
- Require opt-in for visitors by country: Track all visitors except for those from countries on a restricted country list, unless those visitors opt in for tracking via a permissions request.
- Require opt-in for all visitors: Don't track any visitors, unless those visitors opt in for tracking via a permissions request.
After turning on strict mode tracking, first time visitors to your website are presented with an option to opt-in to tracking. If a visitor opts in, the cookie is created and a visitor record is created in Oracle Eloqua with the visitor’s GUID.
If a visitor opts out, they can do so at the site level or at a domain level. Oracle Eloqua creates a cookie too with the opt-out selection. However, the visitor is not given a GUID and no visitor record is created in Oracle Eloqua.
Learn more about strict mode tracking.
Email activity tracking
When you send emails from Oracle Eloqua, emails contain a recipient ID and a tracking pixel:
- The recipient ID enables Oracle Eloqua to associate email open activity with a contact
- The tracking pixel is a 1x1 pixel image that is embedded in emails that is used to track email opens. The tracking image points to an endpoint on the Oracle Eloqua servers. When the image is loaded, the endpoint records the email open. You can also embed external tracking codes into Oracle Eloqua emails.
If a user does not load images when viewing an email, Oracle Eloqua uses clickthroughs to assume an email open. You can disable clickthrough tracking by customizing the links in the email.
Learn more about tracking email opens.
Oracle Eloqua tracks and stores the following automatic engagement metrics separately from those generated by an actual email contact:
- Auto-opens and clicks by email scanning tools
- Apple email privacy auto-opens
Oracle Eloqua landing page activity tracking
Oracle Eloqua automatically tracks activity with Oracle Eloqua landing pages. You cannot disable this tracking. Strict mode tracking can also be enabled for Oracle Eloqua landing pages.