Autonomous Databases are fully managed, preconfigured database environments that are created in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
Autonomous Databases are cloud databases that deliver end-to-end automation of tasks that are traditionally performed by DBAs, such as provisioning the database and monitoring security, availability, and performance. Using Autonomous Databases, you do not have to configure or manage any hardware, or install any software. After creating an Autonomous Database, you can scale the number of CPU cores or the storage capacity of the database at any time without impacting availability or performance.
Note:Although this topic provides information on the different types of Autonomous Databases, currently, Oracle Enterprise Manager only supports the Autonomous Transaction Processing – Dedicated database.
Autonomous Databases are of the following types:
- Autonomous Data Warehouse: Autonomous Data Warehouse provides an easy-to-use, fully autonomous data warehouse that scales elastically, delivers fast query performance and requires no database administration. It is designed to support all standard SQL and business intelligence (BI) tools, and provides all of the performance of the Oracle Database in an environment that is tuned and optimized for data warehouse workloads. See About Autonomous Data Warehouse in Using Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse.
- Autonomous Transaction Processing: Autonomous Transaction
Processing is designed to support all standard business applications and delivers
scalable query performance. Autonomous Transaction Processing provides all of the
performance of the Oracle Database in an environment that is tuned and optimized for
transaction processing workloads. Autonomous Transaction Processing comes with two
- Autonomous Transaction Processing – Serverless: This database is deployed on an Exadata Cloud infrastructure based on region. Oracle manages and controls all placement, patching, software versions, and isolation, thereby ensuring low cost and minimum time commitment. See About Autonomous Transaction Processing in Using Oracle Autonomous Transaction Processing.
- Autonomous Transaction Processing – Dedicated: This database is deployed on a dedicated Exadata Cloud infrastructure, which provides complete isolation from other tenants, thereby ensuring high security, better performance, software control, and easy deployment. See About Autonomous Transaction Processing in Using Oracle Autonomous Transaction Processing Dedicated Deployments.
Most tasks related to Autonomous Databases are automated, however, you have to monitor, diagnose, and perform basic application-level administrative tasks. Here's where you can use Oracle Enterprise Manager and ensure:
- Alert-driven monitoring for visibility into availability and key metrics.
- In-depth application performance diagnostics and troubleshooting.
- Insight-driven utilization analysis built on aggregated monitoring, based on historical data.