You use the Position window to define positions within your organizations and to add them to position hierarchies. You can also enter the skills that position holders require and the grades to which they can be assigned. You can enter position evaluation scores, if you have set up a position evaluation system.
Define all the segments of the Position Name key flexfield that you want to use for the position name.
Define the organizations for the Business Group.
Define the jobs for the Business Group.
If you want to add the position to a position hierarchy, define the hierarchy in the Position Hierarchy window.
To define a position:
1. Enter a start date early enough to handle any historical information you want to enter.
2. Enter a unique name for the position.
If there is more than one segment in the Position Name flexfield, a window opens when you enter the Name field. You must enter a unique combination of segments in this window.
3. Select the organization and job for this position. They must have a start date on or before the start date of this position.
Attention: You cannot change the organization or job once you have saved the definition.
You can set up several positions that have the same job in the same organization. Each position name must be unique.
4. Optionally, select a status for the position. If the status is Valid or blank, employees can be assigned to the position. If the status is Invalid or any other status defined at your site, employees cannot be assigned to the position.
5. Location and Standard Conditions default from the organization, but you can override the defaults.
7. In the Absence alternative region, select Yes in the Replacement Required field if you want users to be warned that they should enter the name of a replacement when they enter an absence for a holder of this position. You might want to do this for positions where it is essential that a person is 'in charge' at all times.
You can select the position that should be held by the person to cover as relief in case of absence.
11. Choose the Evaluation button to enter evaluation information and an overall evaluation score for the position.
12. Choose the Requirements button to enter position requirements, such as required qualifications or valid experience, to help you match people to roles.
Note: Check with your HR manager or system administrator whether this is the right window for entering position requirements. You use this window if requirements were defined using Special Information Types. You use the Competency Requirements window if you have implemented Career Management.
13. Choose the Valid Grades button to enter the grades to which position holders can be assigned.
Entering Evaluation Information
Entering Job and Position Requirements
Entering Work Choices for a Job or Position
Viewing Position Occupancy