Setting Up Salary Administration
Before entering salaries for new hires and salary proposals for current employees using salary administration, complete the following setup steps.
To set up salary administration:
1. Create a salary element for each group of employees whose salaries are quoted on the same basis (such as annually or hourly).
2. Link the salary elements to components of employee assignments, using the Element Link window.
3. Define a salary basis for each salary element.
Note: If you want your new components to be displayed in the Salary Management folder, you must also change a view.
5. If you want to record performance ratings such as Outstanding, Superior and Average, enter them in the QuickCodes window for the QuickCode Type PERFORMANCE_RATING.
6. Add the function Salary Administration: Approve to the menu of responsibilities that should be able to approve salary proposals. Without this function, users can enter salary proposals but they cannot approve them.
7. Assign employees to a salary basis using the Salary Information region of the Assignment window. Also assign employees to a grade, if you have associated a grade rate with the salary basis.
Validating Salary Entries
There are two ways to validate salary entries:
- You can warn users when they enter a salary proposal that is outside a valid range defined for an employee's grade. This approach uses grade rate ranges.
- You can prevent users from approving a salary that is outside a valid range, or that fails validation performed by a formula. Notice that this validation is not performed until you try to approve a salary proposal. This approach uses element input value validation.
To validate salaries against grade rate ranges:
1. Create a salary grade rate and enter minimum, maximum, and midpoint values for each grade.
2. When you define the salary basis, select your salary grade rate.
3. Assign your employees to grades.
To validate salaries using input value validation:
1. If you want to validate salaries using a formula, create your formula in the Write Formulas window.
2. When you define an input value for the salary element, you can select a formula to perform validation, or you can enter minimum and maximum valid values.
3. If you want to vary the validation for different groups of employees, you can enter validation criteria in the Link Input Values window.
Defining and Linking a Salary Element
Defining Salary Bases
Entering a New Assignment
Using Oracle FastFormula for Validation