Siebel Installation Guide for UNIX: Servers, Mobile Web Clients, Tools > Installing the Siebel Database Server and Configuring the Siebel Database >
Installing the Siebel Database Server on the Siebel Server
Installation of the Siebel Database Server software on a Siebel Server provides files with which you will later configure the Siebel Database on the RDBMS. Complete the steps that follow to complete installation of the Siebel Database Server.
Before you install, review Preinstallation Tasks for the Siebel Database Server.
CAUTION: In an upgrade environment, you install the Siebel Database Server on the Siebel Server, following the procedure in this topic, but you do not perform any of the other tasks mentioned in this chapter. For more information, see About Installing in Upgrade Environments.
Optionally, Siebel Enterprise Server components can be installed together in one installer session. For example, if you install the Siebel Server and Siebel Database Server in one session, the installation flow will be a combination of the steps listed in Installing and Configuring the Siebel Server and the steps listed in this topic.
NOTE: The following procedure is for installing the base product. For patch installation instructions, refer to the Maintenance Release Guide provided with the patch. See also About Installing Siebel Releases.
To install the Siebel Database Server software
- Open a new shell and navigate to the Siebel image location for the current software version. Then navigate to the directory where the installer is located.
For example, for Solaris, navigate to Siebel_Image/Solaris/Server/Siebel_Enterprise_Server.
- Siebel_Image = The directory for your version-specific Siebel network image, such as
- Verify the directories and permissions to those directories into which you will install the product. You must have write and execute permission.
- Unset any Siebel-specific environment variables. To view current environment variable settings, enter
env in the shell window.
- To start the Siebel Database Server file installation, enter the following command. Optionally, append any flags described in Combining Console Mode and Unattended Mode Installation.
- Click Next.
The installer displays the message that an existing installation has been found, because you previously installed the Siebel Server on the same machine.
NOTE: This procedure assumes that you have already installed the Siebel Server on the same machine. In practice, it may be best to install the Siebel Server and the Siebel Database Server at the same time. See also Installing the Siebel Server.
- Depending on whether you are installing your Siebel Database Server for the first time or adding a new language to an existing instance (of any Siebel Enterprise Server components), take the appropriate action:
- To install a new instance of the Siebel Database Server, select None as the default and click Next. Proceed to Step 7.
- To install a new language in an existing instance, select the displayed instance and click Next. (This installation path is described in Installing the Siebel Server.)
For more information about adding Language Packs, see Siebel Server Installation Requirements.
The Installer Path screen appears.
- Enter the fully qualified path to the installation directory, then click Next.
CAUTION: You must install the Siebel Database Server in the same directory in which you installed the Siebel Server (for example, /sea78). Otherwise, the installer will assume you are installing components for a different Siebel Enterprise Server.
If you specified the location of the existing Siebel Server installation, the installer prompts you to select the product that you want to install (Siebel Database Server in this case).
- Select from the following options, then click Next:
- Select the Siebel Database Server for installation and configuration. (This procedure assumes that you have already installed the Siebel Gateway Name Server, and that you have already installed the Siebel Server on the same machine where you will install the Siebel Database Server: these options are unavailable.)
- Alternatively, depending on what products you may already have installed, you can install:
- Siebel Server and Siebel Database Server. For this installation process, you perform a combination of tasks in Installing the Siebel Server and tasks in this chapter.
- Siebel Gateway Name Server, Siebel Server, and Siebel Database Server. For this installation process, you perform a combination of tasks described in Installing the Siebel Gateway Name Server tasks in Installing the Siebel Server and tasks in this chapter. (In general, this installation approach is suitable only for testing purposes.)
NOTE: If you install multiple components at once, the installer and the Siebel Software Configuration Wizard prompt you for the installation parameters of each component individually, in the sequence required.
The installer prompts you to select the type of installation setup you prefer.
- Choose the type of Siebel Database Server installation to execute from the following options, then click Next:
- Typical. Installs all Siebel Database Server components.
- Compact. Not supported. There is no compact installation option for the Siebel Database Server.
- Custom. Lets you customize your installation by choosing the specific components you want to install.
CAUTION: If you select Custom installation, make sure that you also select Sample Database support the first time you install the software. When Sample Database support is installed, additional files are copied to a directory in the Siebel File System after configuration. These files are required to read attachments. For more information, see Populating the Siebel File System.
For a list of the installable components, see the following table.
Typical or Custom
The following components are installed with a Typical installation, and can be selected individually in a Custom installation:
- Sample Database support—File attachments for Siebel seed data.
- Oracle Database Enterprise Edition—Database scripts for the Siebel Database on Oracle. See also Guidelines for Creating Oracle Database Objects.
- IBM DB2 UDB for UNIX and Windows—Database scripts for the Siebel Database on DB2 UDB for UNIX and Windows. See also Guidelines for Creating DB2 UDB Database Objects.
- IBM DB2 UDB for z/OS—Database scripts for the Siebel Database on DB2 UDB for z/OS. (This platform is described in Implementing Siebel Business Applications on DB2 UDB for z/OS.)
- If you chose the Custom installation type, proceed to Step 10.
- If you chose the Typical installation type, proceed to Step 11.
- If you chose Custom, select the database platform components that you want to install, as described in the table in Step 9, and click Next.
The installer displays the location into which it will install the Siebel Database Server and any other servers you have elected to install, and also the disk space required for the software you are installing.
- Click Next to copy the files for the selected products into the installation location. Alternatively, to change any settings, click Back, adjust your selections, and click Next to return to this screen.
The installer proceeds to install the specified files.
A message appears, stating that language files are being installed.
After all server files specified have been installed, the installer displays the message:
The InstallShield Wizard has successfully installed the Siebel Enterprise Server. Click Finish to exit the Wizard.
- Click Finish.
- Proceed to Reviewing the Installation for the Siebel Database Server.
If you would like to view events that occurred during the installation, you can access the log generated by the installer at $SIEBEL_ROOT/log.txt.