Updating the Sun Fire T1000 Firmware
This appendix describes how to update the server firmware.
This appendix includes the following topics:
Flash Image Overview
The flash image consists of the following components:
- System controller firmware
- Partition description
Updating the Firmware
The flashupdate command updates both the ALOM-CMT System Controller firmware and the host firmware.
To use the features and fixes in subsequent firmware releases, perform this procedure.
To Update the Firmware
1. Ensure that the ALOM-CMT System Controller network management port is configured.
This is required to access the new flash image over the network. See To Configure the System Controller Network Management Port.
2. Open a Telnet or SSH session and connect to the system controller.
The following example is for Telnet.
% telnet xxx.xxx.xx.xx
Connected to xxx.xxx.xx.xx.
Escape character is'^]'.
Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Sun(tm) Advanced Lights Out Manager CMT v1.2
3. Login as admin, using the password you defined during the configuration of the system controller.
Please login: admin
Please Enter password: password
4. Execute the flashupdate command.
The flashupdate SC command updates the system controller flash image and the host firmware. The flashupdate command requires the following information:
- IP address of an FTP server on the network that can access the flash image.
- Full path name to the flash image that the IP address can access.
- Username and password of an account registered on the system that is specified by the IP address.
The command usage is as follows:
flashupdate [-s IPaddr -f pathname] [-v]
- -s IPaddr is the IP address of any FTP server on the network that can access the flash image
- -f pathname is the full path name to the flash image
- -v is the flag to turn on verbose message output
sc> flashupdate -s xxx.xxx.xx.xx -f pathname
Password: password ............................................................... . Update complete. Reset device to use new image.
5. Reset the system controller.
After the flash has been updated, you must reset the system controller for the new image to take affect. To reset the system controller, issue the resetsc command, as shown below.
Note - To bypass the confirmation prompt, you can use the -y flag with the resetsc command. If resetsc is issued from a Telnet or SSH session, upon reset the Telnet or SSH session will be terminated. The output from the reset will be displayed on the serial console on the system controller.
Are you sure you want to reset the SC [y/n]? y
User Requested SC Shutdown
The system controller resets, runs diagnostics, and returns to the login prompt (on the serial console).
CODE EXAMPLE A-1 Boot Sequence Example
ALOM BOOTMON v1.2.0
ALOM Build Release: 000
Reset register: f0000000 EHRS ESRS LLRS SWRS
ALOM POST 1.0
Dual Port Memory Test, PASSED.
TTY External - Internal Loopback Test
TTY External - Internal Loopback Test, PASSED.
TTYC - Internal Loopback Test
TTYC - Internal Loopback Test, PASSED.
ETHERNET CPU LOOPBACK TEST, PASSED
Full VxDiag Tests - PASSED
Status summary - Status = 7FFF
VxDiag - - PASSED
POST - - PASSED
LOOPBACK - - PASSED
I2C - - PASSED
EPROM - - PASSED
FRU PROM - - PASSED
ETHERNET - - PASSED
MAIN CRC - - PASSED
BOOT CRC - - PASSED
TTYD - - PASSED
TTYC - - PASSED
MEMORY - - PASSED
MPC885 - - PASSED
Copyright © 2006, Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.