4.4 Servicing the System Lithium Battery (CRU)
The system battery maintains system time when the server is powered off and
disconnected from AC power. If the IPMI logs indicate a battery failure, you
should replace the system battery. Use the following procedures to remove and replace
the system battery.
Caution - Ensure that all power is removed from the server before removing or installing
the battery. You must disconnect the power cables from the system before performing
Remove the System Battery
- Prepare for servicing:
- Attach an antistatic wrist strap.
See 2.3 Performing Electrostatic Discharge and Static Prevention Measures.
- Power off the server and disconnect all power cords from the server power
See 2.6 Powering Off the Server.
- Extend the server to the maintenance position.
See 2.4 Positioning the Server for Maintenance.
- Remove the top cover.
See 2.7 Removing the Server Top Cover
- Remove the battery from the battery holder by pulling back on the metal
tab holding it in place and sliding the battery up and out of
the battery holder (Removing the Battery).
Figure 4-13 Removing the Battery
Install the System Battery
- Unpackage the replacement battery.
- Press the new battery into the battery holder with the positive side (+)
facing away from the metal tab that holds it in place.
- If the service processor is configured to synchronize with a network time server
using the Network Time Protocol (NTP), the Oracle ILOM clock will be reset
as soon as the server is powered on and connected to the network.
Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- If the service processor is not configured to use NTP, you must reset
the Oracle ILOM clock using the Oracle ILOM CLI or the web interface.
For instructions, see the Oracle Integrated Lights Out Manager (ILOM) 3.0 Documentation Collection.
- Return the server to operation:
- Install the top cover.
See 6.1 Replacing the Server Top Cover.
- Return the server to the normal rack position.
See 6.2 Returning the Server to the Normal Rack Position.
- Reconnect all power cords to the server power supplies and power on the
See 6.3 Powering On the Server.
- After the battery is replaced, use the BIOS Setup Utility to update the
System Time and System Date.
Refer to Chapter 7, Servicing the Server at Boot Time for information about using the BIOS Setup Utility.