How to Remove the Hard Drive Backplane
An animation of the procedure to remove the hard drive backplane is available.
See animation showing hard drive backplane removal.
Before You Begin
- Prepare the server for service. See How to Prepare for Service.
- Disconnect the AC power cables from the AC power block. See How to Remove and Install AC Power Cables.
- Label the CMODs and module fillers with their respective slot designations, and remove
them from their slots.
See How to Remove a CPU Module (CMOD).
- Label and remove the hard drives and any HD fillers.
See How to Remove a Hard Drive or How to Remove a Hard Drive Filler.
- To remove the three SAS connectors from the hard drive backplane, squeeze the
connector lock clips and pull the connectors toward the back of the server
As you face the server, the lock clips are on the left side
of the connector. From left to right, the cables are SAS 1, SAS
Power, and SAS 0.
- From the front of the machine, use a No. 1 Phillips screwdriver to
loosen the three captive hard drive backplane retaining screws (2).
- To remove the hard drive backplane and frame assembly from the server, slide
it toward the back of the server, tilt the right side upward, and
pull it out leading with the right edge (3).
- Separate the hard drive backplane from the frame (4).
How to Install the Hard Drive Backplane
Hard Drive Backplane Cable Routing and Designations