How to Install the Hard Drive Backplane
Before You Begin
- Prepare the server for service. See How to Prepare for Service.
- Remove the hard drive backplane. See How to Remove the Hard Drive Backplane.
- Join together the backplane and the frame (1).
- Orient the hard drive backplane assembly with the connectors on the backplane facing
toward the back of the server.
- Insert the hard drive backplane into the server and position it against the
back wall of the drive bay (2).
- Hold the hard drive backplane assembly flat against the back wall of the
drive bay and align the screw holes in the assembly with the
For ease of installation, align the center screw first.
- From the front of the server, use a No. 1 Phillips screwdriver to
tighten the three captive screws and secure the hard drive backplane assembly (3).
- Connect the SAS cables and the one SAS power cable to the
hard drive backplane (4).
See Hard Drive Backplane Cable Routing and Designations for cable routing and designations.
- Install the hard drives and HD fillers into their original slots. See How to Install a Hard Drive.
- Install the CMODs and filler modules into their original slots. See How to Install a CPU Module (CMOD).
- Install the AC power cables. See How to Remove and Install AC Power Cables.
How to Prepare for Operation