About ALI Portlet Development
The following topics provide general information about
ALI portlet development and configuration.
- About the IDK ALI Portlet API: The plumtree.remote.portlet package provides portal-specific
support for portlet development, including manipulating
settings in the ALI database, accessing user information, and managing
communication with the portal. For details on creating portlets with
the IDK Proxy API, see Creating a Custom ALI Portlet with the Java IDK Portlet API and Creating a Custom ALI Portlet with the .NET IDK Portlet API.
- About Adaptive Pagelets: Adaptive pagelets allow you to create a coordinated page with dynamic,
interactive functionality comprised of cross-platform services that
talk to multiple back-ends.
- About Adaptive Tags: Adaptive
Tags are used to display contextual data and control Ensemble and
ALI portal functionality from remote pagelets. Unlike the IDK, Adaptive
Tags use XML in pagelet content instead of code, which avoids a network
round trip. Tags can be included in the markup returned by any gatewayed
page (HTML, JSP or ASP.Net). For details on tags available for use
in ALI, see About ALI Adaptive Tag Libraries.
- About the ALI Scripting Framework: The ALI Scripting
services to pagelets and gatewayed pages.
- About Programmable Remote Client (PRC) Remote APIs: The plumtree.remote.prc package includes a collection of APIs that
provide access to functionality within the ALI portal, Collaboration,
Publisher, and Search Service. These APIs can be used by any pagelet
deployed in an environment with access to these applications.
- About ALI Portlet Alignment
- About CSS Customization for ALI Portlets
- About ALI Portlet Settings
- About Pagelet Internationalization
- About ALI Portlet Security
- About Pagelet Caching
- About ALI Logging Utilities
- All cross-platform pagelet development concepts also apply to
ALI portlets. For details, see About Cross-Platform Pagelet Development.
For details on configuring portlets in the ALI portal, see the
ALI portal online help.
- About the IDK ALI Portlet APIThe IDK Portlet API provides ALI-specific support for portlet development, including manipulating settings in the ALI database, accessing user information, and managing communication with the portal.
- About ALI Portlet AlignmentWhere a portlet is displayed on the ALI portal page defines its size.
- About CSS Customization for ALI PortletsThe CSS template provided with ALI version 6.0 and above allows you to customize portlet content and design in a variety of ways.
- About ALI Portlet SettingsMost portlets use settings. In some cases, a portlet can access settings stored by another portlet or service.
- About ALI Portlet SecurityPortlets can be used to manipulate secure content. AquaLogic Interaction provides a variety of ways to control access to specific functionality.
- About Pagelet InternationalizationThese tips and best practices apply to all pagelets that will be translated into multiple languages.
- About Pagelet CachingCaching is the functionality that allows ALI and Ensemble to request pagelet content, save the content, and return the saved content to users when appropriate. The importance of caching cannot be overstated.