Siebel Communications Server Administration Guide > Configuring Session Communications > Exporting and Importing Configuration Data >
Importing Communications Configuration Data
You may need to import communications configuration data from a file into the database for several reasons. You can import data previously exported from the same software version, or from a previous version (Siebel CTI). You can also use .DEF files to import data that you previously exported from another configuration or another database—for example, exporting data from a test database and importing it into your production Siebel Database.
An import file must contain valid data and use correct .DEF file notation. The import file must be consistent with files exported from the current version of Siebel Communications Server, or with previous versions of Siebel CTI.
As described in Upgrading Siebel CTI from Release 6.x (and Earlier), each configuration file you export from the current version has an entry like this:
CommServerVersion = "7.0"
CAUTION: For any communications configuration file you import that does not contain an entry as shown, upgrade steps will be performed on the file. Do not manually add such an entry to a configuration file unless the file is known to be valid for the current version and should not be upgraded.
For files created in previous versions, the upgrade scenario applies. When importing files from previous versions, import the .ini file first, then the .DEF file.
For more information about the .DEF file format, see Communications .DEF Files. For more information about upgrades, see Upgrading from Release 6.x.
CAUTION: When you import communications configuration data, all existing data of the same type is first deleted from the database for the current configuration. New data is then inserted. You cannot cancel an import operation after you begin it. If you are not sure of the effects of importing configuration data, export the old configuration data to a .DEF file before you import the configuration data.
To import communications configuration data
- Navigate to Administration - Communications > All Configurations.
- In the Configurations list, create a new configuration record, or select the configuration record for which you want to import data.
For information about creating configurations, see Creating or Modifying a Communications Configuration.
- Click Import Configuration, located at the top of the view.
- Click Next.
The Import Configuration dialog box appears. It contains four import options:
- Configuration Parameters. Imports configuration parameters. This data is displayed in the All Configurations view, in the Configuration Parameters list.
- Commands. Imports commands and command data. This data is displayed in the All Commands and All Command Data views.
- Events. Imports event handlers, event responses, and event logs. This data is displayed in the All Event Handlers, All Event Responses, and All Event Logs views.
- Drivers and Profiles. Imports communications drivers and profiles. This data is displayed in the Communications Drivers and Profiles view.
- Click the applicable check boxes named in Step 4 to specify what kinds of data to import.
- Enter the name of the source file, or click Browse and select the file.
- Click OK to import the specified configuration data from the source file.
Wait for the import process to finish, as shown by the imported configuration elements displayed in the Siebel application user interface. After the import has completed, the Import Configuration dialog box closes.