Siebel Communications Server Administration Guide > Configuring Communications Templates > Fields for Templates >
This section describes the template options you specify in the Advanced form.
The following fields are grouped under Template Properties:
- Name (required). See Templates List.
- Channel Type (required). See Templates List.
- Delivery Profile. Select the communications profile to use in order to deliver the template to recipients. The profile must support the specified channel type.
The delivery profile must be specified for any template that will be sent using an outbound communication request. This field is not present on the Simple tab because it is used for outbound communication requests only.
For more information, see Configuring Communications Drivers and Profiles.
- Language (required). See Templates List.
- Locale (required). See Templates List.
- HTML Template. Check this option to specify that an email or fax template is an HTML template. Leave this box unchecked if the template is plain text. If this box is not checked, then any formatting you apply in the Text field is stripped when you save the template.
For information about HTML formatting in the Text field, see Editing and Formatting Controls for Template Text.
- Public. Check this option to make this template available for all users to specify in the context in which the templates will be used, such as in sending outbound communication requests. Leave this box unchecked if the template is available only to the current user and to administrators.
NOTE: The Public field is ignored for any template that is specified to be sent using an outbound communication request initiated through Siebel Workflow. Any defined template can be specified.
- Attach Bookmark. Includes a Siebel bookmark in communication requests sent using this template.
A Siebel bookmark is a URL that links to a specific record in the Siebel application. A bookmark included in an email message allows a user to click to navigate directly to this record. If you specify this option, a bookmark is included in outbound messages sent using this template. The bookmark URL is appended to the message body. The bookmark URL functions as a link whether the template is HTML or plain text.
For example, if you are sending email to account team members, a bookmark URL may be sent providing access to the account record that was specified as the recipient source for the communication request.
Bookmarks can be included in messages sent using templates of any applicable channel. However, only bookmarks in email messages allow the recipient to click to navigate to the target record in the Siebel application.
If the recipient user is running the Siebel application, the bookmark record can open in this window or can open in another browser window. If the user is not logged in, the user is prompted to log in before the record is accessed.
NOTE: A bookmark can be manually inserted in an email message or document by choosing the command Create Bookmark from the applet-level menu.
Before you can specify to include bookmarks, note the following requirements:
- The Siebel administrator must specify a value for the WebServer server component parameter for the Communications Outbound Manager. In order to access the bookmarked record, the recipient users must have access to the Web server and Application Object Manager specified using this parameter.
For more information, see Administering Communications Outbound Manager.
- For each business component representing a type of record for which bookmarks are to be supported, the Siebel configurator must verify that the user property Default Bookmark View has been appropriately defined.
This property specifies the Siebel application view in which the bookmark record should open for the end user, who is in this case the email recipient. The specified view should be an end user view that is available to the intended recipients. This user property is already defined for many key business components. For example, for the Account business component, the default bookmark view is Account List View.
For more information about configuring user properties for business components, see Configuring Siebel Business Applications and Siebel Developer's Reference.
- Create Activity. Check this option to set activity logging for outbound communication requests that include this template.
If Create Activity is checked for the template, one activity is created for each recipient, after the message is sent to that recipient. For each activity record, the text from the template's Subject field is written to the Description field, and the text from the template's message body is written to the Comments field.
Sending a message to a large number of recipients generates an equally large number of activity records.
Each activity that is created will be owned by the user who started the Siebel Server running Communications Outbound Manager. Typically, this is SADMIN.
NOTE: If you create a new recipient group using a custom business component, and will set the Create Activity flag for an advanced template that uses this recipient group, then you must create a System Activity object on the custom business component in order to specify fields that can be logged with activity logging. See also Configuring Recipient Groups for Requests and Advanced Templates.
For more information about activity logging, see Viewing Activity Records for Communication Requests.
Pick Available Substitutions
The following fields are grouped under Pick Available Substitutions:
- Recipient Group. Select the type of recipient group for the template. The recipients might be, for example, all contacts associated with an opportunity—this particular group is identified as Opportunity Contacts.
The recipient group specified for the template is optional and is used to obtain values for the Available Fields list.
The recipient group you specify here only determines which field substitutions are available for the template text. The actual recipient group, and actual recipients, are determined for the communication request where the template is used.
NOTE: Compare the Recipient Group field on the Advanced tab with the Object field on the Simple tab.
The Recipient Group picklist displays recipient groups for many major business objects and business components. For predefined values, see Predefined Recipient Groups.
You can customize the list of values for the Recipient Group picklist in order to add or remove recipient groups. For more information, see Configuring Recipient Groups for Requests and Advanced Templates.
- Available Fields. Displays the business component fields that are valid for substitution. You can copy and paste such fields into the Text field for the template.
The fields available for substitution are from the recipient business component specified by the Recipient Group (such as Contact, for Account Contacts), or from the primary business component in the recipient source business object (such as Account, for Account Contacts). Fields for the primary business component are prefaced by the business component name, followed by a period.
All substitution fields must be enclosed within brackets ([ ]) in the template text.
For example, available substitution fields for Account Contacts include [Last Name], from the Contact business component, and [Account.Name], from the Account business component.
NOTE: For an HTML template (HTML text in the Text field) or an HTML template item, make sure that the enclosing brackets and text of any substitution field text do not include any tagging changes. For example, do not change from bold to regular text within the enclosing brackets of a substitution field. Doing so may prevent proper data substitution.
If your template must contain a literal bracket character ([ or ]), insert a backslash character (\) before the bracket to make sure that it will be correctly interpreted.
NOTE: If a substitution field is not enclosed in brackets, or if some other notation is used, such as enclosing the field name within percentage characters (%), then Communications Outbound Manager cannot perform substitution for the field.
The following fields are grouped under Compose Template:
- Subject. Enter text for a subject line for the template.
Text in the Subject field can also include substitutions from the Available Fields list, as determined by the specified recipient group:
- For an email message sent using a communication request, the text from this field is used in the Subject line of the message.
- For a fax sent using a communication request, the text from this field appears on the cover page of the faxed message.
NOTE: If you are using Captaris RightFax with the Unicode patch, then the subject text will appear on the fax cover page only for ENU (U.S. English) software. For all other languages, the subject text will appear on a second page of the faxed message. For more information, see Integrating with Fax Systems.
- For a page message, text from this field is not used.
- Text. Specify text for the template. As appropriate, you can copy and paste fields from the available substitutions.
All template text appears at the start of the message body.
For information about editing and formatting within this field, see Editing and Formatting Controls for Template Text.