Siebel Installation Guide for UNIX: Servers, Mobile Web Clients, Tools > Installing Siebel Mobile Web Clients >
Installing the Siebel Sample Database
The Sample Database contains example data of various kinds to help you understand how the Siebel Business Applications work. You install the Sample Database for the Siebel Mobile Web Client. This database, like the local database used with the Siebel Mobile Web Client, is based on SQL Anywhere.
NOTE: Installation of the Siebel Sample Database is optional and applies to the Siebel Mobile Web Client. Before you can install the Sample Database, you install the Mobile Web Client, as described in Installing the Siebel Mobile Web Client and Developer Web Client. (The Sample Database can also be installed with the Developer Web Client.)
A Sample Database installed with the Siebel Mobile Web Client can also be used with Siebel Tools. To configure this, copy the value of the
ConnectString parameter from the [Sample] section of the application configuration file, such as uagent.cfg for Siebel Call Center (located in SIEBEL_CLIENT_ROOT\bin\enu), then paste this value for the equivalent parameter in the tools.cfg file (located in SIEBEL_TOOLS_ROOT\bin\enu). Alternatively, you can install the Sample Database into the Siebel Tools directory instead of the Mobile Web Client directory. For information about installing Siebel Tools, see Installing Siebel Tools.
For platform requirements for installing and using Siebel clients and the Siebel Sample Database, see System Requirements and Supported Platforms on Siebel SupportWeb.
After you have installed the Sample Database, you can run Siebel Demo applications, such as those described in Siebel Client Shortcuts and Start-Up Options. You can also customize shortcuts, as described in the same section.
See also the subsection on directory names in Preinstallation Tasks for the Siebel Client.
If you install a non-ENU Language Pack, see also Importing Non-ENU Repository and Seed Data into the Siebel Sample Database.
NOTE: The following procedure is for installing the base product. For patch installation instructions, refer to the Maintenance Release Guide provided with the patch. See also About Installing Siebel Releases.
To install the Siebel Sample Database
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the Siebel image location for the current software version. Then navigate to the directory where the installer is located.
In this case, navigate to Siebel_Image\Windows\Client\Siebel_Sample_Database.
- Double-click install.exe to start the Sample Database installer.
- In the Choose Setup Language screen, choose the language in which to conduct the installation, then click OK.
The default installation language is the one that corresponds to the current regional settings on the installation machine.
- If you have an existing Sample Database installation, you can choose to add language extension packs to this installation.
- If you are installing a new instance of the Siebel Sample Database (into a Siebel client installation that does not already have the Sample Database), click Next, then go to Step 5.
- If you are adding languages to an existing Siebel Sample Database installation:
- Select the check box next to the line identifying the existing Sample Database installation to which you are adding languages, then click Next.
- Select the check box next to each language you are installing, then click Next.
- Proceed to Step 9.
- In the Welcome screen, click Next.
- In the Setup Type screen, verify that the Sample Database installation directory listed is correct. The default directory is C:\Program Files\Siebel\7.8\Web Client.
CAUTION: You must install the Sample Database in the same location where you installed the Siebel Mobile Web Client.
- While still in the Setup Type screen, select the type of installation to perform:
- Typical. Installs the Sample Database plus optional components. This option is recommended for most users. Proceed to Step 9.
- Compact. Installs the Sample Database plus optional components. Proceed to Step 9.
- Custom. Installs the Sample Database and lets you specify whether to install the following optional components: Sample Files and Sample Search Index. These options are selected by default. Proceed to Step 8.
NOTE: For the standard installer for the Siebel Sample Database, the Setup Type options currently install the same components. In a customized installation, these options may install different elements.
- For a custom installation, select from the Select Components screen the optional components you want to install. This screen appears only if you chose Custom installation in Step 7.
- In the Choose Languages screen, select the languages (that is, Language Packs) to install.
If you are installing Language Packs for an existing Siebel client installation, go to Step 11.
Verify that your destination machine has sufficient disk space for the installation, then click Next.
NOTE: After you install the Sample Database, you may need to import repository data and seed data for a specified non-ENU language, depending on your requirements. For details, see Importing Non-ENU Repository and Seed Data into the Siebel Sample Database.
- In the Select Program Folder screen, enter the name of the program folder that will contain your Siebel shortcuts, then click Next.
The default name is Siebel Web Client 7.8. You can use spaces and use the backslash (\) in folder names to create a folder hierarchy.
Clicking Next in this step initiates file transfer. The setup program copies files to the local hard disk. A status bar in the Setup Status dialog box indicates the progress of the installation. You can cancel installation while files are being copied to the local disk.
The setup program copies files to the local hard disk for each specified language, in addition to those that were installed for the base Sample Database installation.
A status bar in the Setup Status dialog box indicates the progress of the installation. You can cancel installation while files are being copied to the local disk.
If you have installed all specified Language Packs, proceed to the next step. Alternatively, if you have installed Language Packs for an existing Sample Database installation, the installer exits. Skip the rest of this procedure.
- Review the information presented in the Event Log screen, then click Next.
This log provides details of the steps the installer has performed during your Sample Database installation.
- Click Finish in the Setup Complete screen.
The Siebel Sample Database installation is now finished. Siebel Demo application shortcuts (for example, Siebel Call Center Demo - ENU) are created in the program folder specified in Step 10. For more information, see Siebel Client Shortcuts.
To verify successful installation, see Postinstallation Tasks for the Siebel Client.