Entering Tasks (WBS) for a Project
When you create a project from a project template or an existing project, Oracle Projects copies the work breakdown structure from the source project or template. When you create a project template, Oracle Project automatically creates one default task. You may want to alter this structure by creating a new top task to begin a new branch of the work breakdown structure, or by creating additional subtasks under an existing task.
Note: Ensure that your task numbering method accurately reflects an organized WBS. See: Setting Up a Project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS).
You cannot create subtasks for a task that has any of the following:
- Transactions charged to it
- Budget amounts (and the task is not a top task)
- Burden schedule overrides
- Any billing overrides (for contract projects)
- Asset assignments (and the task is not a top task) (for capital projects)
To create a new task:
1. Navigate to the Projects window.
2. Find the project template or project for which you want to enter a task and choose Open.
3. Select the Tasks option from the Project options in the Projects, Template window.
4. If you have enabled the profile option PA_DISPLAY_FIND_TASKS, the Tasks option will display the Find Tasks window. You can search for tasks in your project by Task Number, Task Name, Task Manager, Organization, Service Type, and WBS Level. Oracle Projects will display any task meeting the search criteria as well as all parent tasks leading back to the original top task. If you have not enabled the profile option, you can view this window by choosing the Find button or Query, Find.
5. In the Tasks window, do one of the following:
- If you want to create a new top task, select a top task and choose Create Peer Task
- If you want to create a new child task, select the task for which you want to create a child task and choose Create Subtask
- If you want to create a peer task, select a task for which you want to create the peer task, or choose Edit, New Record from the menu to create a new record
6. Enter the basic task information, including task number, task name, and task description. Update any of the task details that default for the task if necessary. See: Tasks Window Reference.
7. Create additional top tasks or subtasks if necessary.
To review or change task details:
- In the Tasks window, choose the task you want to review or change. Choose Options to display the Task Options. Choose Task Detail in the Task Options window. Edit your task detail information.
To change the parent of a task:
- You cannot directly change the parent of a task to another task. You must create a new task under the new parent task and delete the old task under the old parent task. If you cannot delete the task, then update the task to not allow charges to prevent future charges to that task. If the old task has transactions charged to it, you may want to transfer the transactions to the new task.
Setting Up a Project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
Control Functions by Projects and Tasks
Tasks Window Reference
Project and Task Options
Transferring Expenditure Items