How to Install a CPU Module or Filler Card
Note - If you are reinstalling the CPU modules, and your server contains CPU modules
with different DIMM configurations, you must reinstall each module in its original slot.
Before You Begin
Review the following information:
- Prepare the server for service. See How to Prepare the Server for Service.
- Identify the slot and if necessary remove the CPU module or the filler
module (see How to Remove a CPU Module or Filler Card).
- Ensure that both plastic levers on the top corners of the module are
in the fully open, vertical position.
- Position the CPU module with the component side facing the center of the
- Align the module edges with the slot's metal edge guides in the CPU
Caution - Risk of component damage. There is risk of damage to the CPU module
and the motherboard if the module is improperly inserted into the server. Ensure
that the CPU module is properly installed.
- Carefully lower the module until the open levers come in contact with the
edge guides and the three connectors are aligned with the motherboard connectors.
The key aligns with the slot in the edge guide.
- Simultaneously rotate both plastic levers downward until they are flat against the top
corners of the module.
This action engages the three connectors on the CPU module with the three
mating connectors on the motherboard.
- Prepare the server for operation. See How to Prepare the Server for Operation.
How to Update CPU Module FRU Information