You import data from external application dimensions into Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud which populates nodes, properties and hierarchical relationships in the dimension's registered bound data chain.
From the Applications list, import dimensions:
- Importing Planning and FreeForm Dimensions.
- Importing Financial Consolidation and Close Dimensions
- Importing Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger Dimensions
- Importing E-Business Suite General Ledger Dimensions
- Importing a User Defined Dimension.
|Your Goal||Watch This Video|
Learn about importing and exporting dimensions.
All application types support importing and exporting from comma-delimited files.
For Planning and Financial Consolidation and Close applications, if you enter valid connection information to an external application during registration, you can import and export from the external application inbox by using a connection. You can then import that file into your Planning application.
For Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger applications, if you enter valid connection information to an external application during registration, you can export to the external application server by using a connection. You can then import that file into your Oracle Financials Cloud General Ledger application.
- To import, you need at least the Data Manager permission on the application or the dimension that you are importing to.
- You can import to dimensions with an Active status only.
- You cannot import to unbound or reference dimensions.
- You must first register the dimension you want to import.
- For all import modes, the import source file should contain the full data set for a viewpoint. If you want to perform an incremental update where the incoming source file contains only changes to a viewpoint, use the request file upload instead of import. See Making Changes Using a Load File.
- For Planning, Planning Modules, and Financial Consolidation and Close applications, you can also import attribute dimensions. You must first register the attribute dimension. See Understanding Attributes.
- When you import to an existing dimension, data in the dimension's bound data chain is affected. Unbound objects are not updated by the import process; however, they may be indirectly affected by changes to other objects in their data chain
- For a hierarchy format, nodes and hierarchical relationships are imported and displayed in alpha numeric order by default. If you want to import and display nodes as they are in the external application, before you import, open the hierarchy set and select Use Custom Order.
- When you import to an existing dimension in Merge or Replace mode, the system checks the node type of the nodes that you are importing, as follows:
- If the node already exists in the bound dimension, the system finds and uses the existing node and node type when it runs the import.
- If the node does not already exist in the bound dimension, the system imports the node using the node type that was created during the initial registration.
There are additional considerations for node types with imports in Universal applications. See Importing a User Defined Dimension.
- Import files should be encoded in UTF-8.
On the import screen, review the History section to see the dates and times of the last five imports that were run for this dimension. The table displays how long it took to run each import, the status and mode of the import, the user who ran it, and the name of the connection that was used. Imports from a file will display "None" for the connection.
Click the expand arrow on a row to view the number of records that were imported or any errors that were encountered during the import process. For Merge imports, click the link in the number of records processed to inspect the request that was generated from the import.
When you import data, there are three import modes that you can select. The following table describes the import modes.
|Import Mode||Hierarchy Viewpoint Updates||List Viewpoint Updates|
Caution:Ensure that your import file contains your full hierarchy set before you run the import.
The first time you import into a dimension, you must use the Reset import mode. You cannot use a Merge or Replace import in an empty dimension.