Remove the Disk Backplane
Note - A server with four or fewer storage drives (either 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch drives)
has only one disk backplane.
Caution - Ensure that all power is removed from the server before removing or installing
disk backplane. You must disconnect the power cables before performing these procedures.
- Prepare the server for service.
- Power off the server and disconnect the power cords from the power supplies.
See Powering Down the Server
- Extend the server to the maintenance position.
See Extend the Server to the Maintenance Position.
- Attach an antistatic wrist strap.
See Take Antistatic Measures.
- Open the server's fan door to gain access to the disk backplanes.
- Pull out each storage drive out far enough to disengage it from the
See Remove a Storage Drive.
Note - It is not necessary to completely remove the storage drives from the server;
simply pull them out far enough to disengage them from the disk backplane.
If you do remove the storage drives from the server, make a note
of their locations so that you can reinstalled them in the same locations.
- Remove all four fan modules.
See Remove a Fan Module.
- Starting with top disk backplane if servicing a server with two disk backplanes,
disconnect the SAS cable from the disk backplane .
See Removing the Disk Backplane.
Note - If you are going to remove and replace both backplanes, before disconnecting any
backplane cables, make a note of, or tag, which cables connect to the
top disk backplane and which cables connect to the bottom disk backplane for
reference when you install the replacement disk backplanes.
Figure 67 Removing the Disk Backplane
- Disconnect the disk backplane power cable from the disk backplane .
- Disconnect the disk backplane LED cable from the disk backplane .
- If the server has a DVD drive, disconnect the DVD drive power cable
from the disk backplane .
Note - Servers with a DVD drive have only one disk backplane.
- Using just your thumb and fingers, loosen the two captive thumb screws that
secure the disk backplane to the chassis .
- Slide the backplane forward toward the front of the server to release it
from the three mushroom standoffs and lift it out of the chassis .
- Place the disk backplane on an antistatic mat.
- If the server has a second disk backplane, repeat Step 4 through Step 10 to