5.2 Servicing the Fan Board (FRU)
Use the following procedures to remove and install the fan board.
Remove the Fan Board
- Prepare for servicing:
- Attach an antistatic wrist strap.
See 2.3 Performing Electrostatic Discharge and Static Prevention Measures.
- Power off the server completely and disconnect all power cords from the server
See 2.6 Powering Off the Server.
- Extend the server to the maintenance position.
See 2.4 Positioning the Server for Maintenance.
- Remove the top cover.
See 2.7 Removing the Server Top Cover.
- Remove all fan modules.
See Remove a Fan Module.
- Remove all memory risers.
See Remove a Memory Riser and DIMM.
- Disconnect any cables plugged into the USB or video connectors on the front
of the server.
- Remove the fan board (Removing the Fan Board):
- Loosen the three captive screws connecting the front memory riser guide to the
- Remove the two screws on each side of the outside of the chassis
that hold the fan board unit in place.
- Unplug the fan board cable and power cables from motherboard.
- Remove the front memory riser guide by pulling it up and out of
- Pull the fan board back and out of chassis.
Figure 5-4 Removing the Fan Board
Install the Fan Board
- Unpack the replacement fan board unit and place it on an antistatic mat.
- Remove the fan board cable and power cables from the faulty fan board
unit and plug them into the fan board on the replacement fan board
- Reinstall the fan board unit (Installing the Fan Board):
- Insert the fan board unit into the chassis, moving it down and toward
- Reposition the front memory riser guide, routing the fan board and power cable
through the riser guide.
- Plug the fan board cable and power cable into the connectors on the
- Tighten the three captive screws to hold the front memory riser guide in
- Secure the fan board unit in place by reinserting and tightening the two
screws on each side of the outside of the chassis.
Figure 5-5 Installing the Fan Board
- Reinstall all fan modules.
See Install a Fan Module.
- Reinstall all memory risers.
See Install Memory Risers and DIMMs.
- Return the server to operation:
- Install the top cover.
See 6.1 Replacing the Server Top Cover.
- Return the server to the normal rack position.
See 6.2 Returning the Server to the Normal Rack Position.
- Reconnect all power cords to the server power supplies and power on the
See 6.3 Powering On the Server.
Note - The product serial number used for service entitlement and warranty coverage might need
to be reprogrammed on the fan board by authorized service personnel with the
correct product serial number located on the chassis EZ label.