5.5 Servicing the Motherboard (FRU)
Use the following procedures to remove and install the motherboard.
Remove the Motherboard
Refer to Removing the Motherboard when completing the following procedure.
- Prepare for servicing:
- Attach an antistatic wrist strap.
See 2.3 Performing Electrostatic Discharge and Static Prevention Measures.
- Power off the server completely and disconnect all power cords from the server
See 2.6 Powering Off the Server.
- Extend the server to the maintenance position.
See 2.4 Positioning the Server for Maintenance.
- Remove the top cover.
See 2.7 Removing the Server Top Cover.
- Remove the CPUs and heatsinks from the motherboard.
See 5.1 Servicing the CPU and Heatsink (FRU)
- Remove all memory risers.
See Remove a Memory Riser and DIMM.
- Remove all PCIe cards from the server.
See Remove a PCIe Card.
- Loosen the green captive screw in the corner near the fans that secures
the motherboard to the chassis. See Removing the Motherboard.
- Disconnect all cables that connect the power supply backplane, disk drive backplane, and
fan board to the motherboard.
- Remove the air divider by sliding it out of the chassis.
- Remove the four bus bar screws securing the motherboard to the power supply
- Remove the power supply cover plate that secures the SAS cables.
- Position the cables off to the side, using the tab on the power
- Grasp the handle on the motherboard and slide it toward the front and
then out of the chassis.
Figure 5-10 Removing the Motherboard
Install the Motherboard
Refer to Installing the Motherboard when completing the following procedure.
- Unpack the replacement motherboard and place it on an antistatic mat.
- Grasp the motherboard by the handle and hold the cables off to the
side while sliding the motherboard toward the back of the chassis.
- Align the rear Locate button with its corresponding hole in the back of
the chassis, and ensure that the Locate button is not jammed in the down
- Replace the CPUs and heatsinks on the motherboard. See 5.1 Servicing the CPU and Heatsink (FRU).
- Tighten the captive screw in the corner near the fans that secures the
motherboard to the chassis.
- Reinsert and tighten the four bus bar screws that secure the motherboard to
the power supply backplane.
- Reinstall the air divider by sliding it into the chassis.
- Reinstall all memory risers.
See Install Memory Risers and DIMMs.
- Reconnect all cables from the power supply backplane, disk drive backplane, and fan
board to the motherboard.
- Reinstall all PCIe cards.
See Install a PCIe Card Filler Panel.
- Reinstall the power supply cover plate that secures the SAS cables.
- Return the server to operation:
- Install the top cover.
See 6.1 Replacing the Server Top Cover.
- Return the server to the normal rack position.
See 6.2 Returning the Server to the Normal Rack Position.
- Reconnect all power cords to the server power supplies and power on the
See 6.3 Powering On the Server.
Note - The product serial number used for service entitlement and warranty coverage might need
to be reprogrammed on the motherboard by authorized service personnel with the correct
product serial number located on the chassis EZ label.
Figure 5-11 Installing the Motherboard