Remove a Fan Module
Removing a fan module is a hot-plug operation. You do not need to
power off the server before you remove the fan module.
Note - For proper thermal management, there must always be at least three fan modules
- Consider your first step:
If you have not prepared for service, do so now. See Preparing for Service.
If you are removing the fan module as part of another component's removal or installation procedure, go to Step 2.
- Remove the filter tray.
See Remove the Air Filter.
- Determine which fan module to remove.
See Locate a Faulty Fan Module.
- Grasp the lever at the bottom of the fan module and move the
lever to the left (pane 1).
- Pull the fan module out from the chassis by the lever (pane 2).
- Set the fan module aside.
- Consider your next steps:
If you removed the fan module as part of a replacement operation, install a new fan module. See Install a Fan Module.
If you removed the fan module as part of another component's removal or installation procedure, return to that procedure. See Component Service Task Reference for assistance.
If you are not replacing the fan module, go to Step 8.
- Install the filter tray.
See Install the Air Filter.
- Finish the removal procedure.
See Returning the Server to Operation.