Install the Switch in the Rack
Caution - The airflow through the switch is in from the fans, through the chassis,
and out at the connector panel. The front of the switch chassis (fan end)
intakes from the cold aisle. The rear of the switch chassis (connector end)
exhausts to the hot aisle. This flow direction requires you to install the
switch in an orientation that is the opposite of what you might assume.
- Identify the prerequisite and subsequent installation tasks that you must perform in conjunction with
See Installation Sequence.
- If installed, open the rack doors.
- Assemble the cable management extenders.
- Slide the attachment bracket over the extender, so that the tab on the
bracket is opposite the flange on the extender.
The open end of the tab is toward the flange. The flat
end of the tab is toward the rear of the extender.
- Place the attachment plate on the flange side of the extender, opposite the
- Use two screws to sandwich the attachment bracket and plate to the extender,
in the position farthest from the flange.
- Using a No. 2 Phillips screwdriver, tighten the two screws.
- Repeat from Step a for the other cable management extender.
- Attach the cable management extenders and long rails to the rear of the
- Place the long rail to the mounting location on the post of the
- Butt the flange of the extender to the flange of the long rail.
- Secure the assembly to the post with two captive nuts and two screws.
- Repeat from Step a for the other cable management extender and long rail.
- Attach the long front brackets (with cutouts) to the front of the switch
with four screws on each side.
The flange of the long front brackets point away from the switch.
- Attach the C-shaped brackets to the switch with four screws on each side.
The edge of the C-shaped bracket is flush to the rear of
- Route the power cords through the rack with the female end at the
front of the rack where you are installing the switch.
Ensure that there is 24 inches (610 mm) of power cord slack at
the front of the rack. This slack provides an adequate service loop when
removing the switch from the rack.
- Carefully lift the switch and slide it into the rack, from the front
Ensure that the ends of the long rails slide into the C-shaped brackets
at the rear of the switch chassis and that the power cords fit
into the cut-outs of the long front mounting brackets.
- Mount the front of the switch chassis to the front rack posts with
two captive nuts and two screws at each side.
Tighten the screws securely.
- Install the cable management bracket to the tabs of the attachment brackets at
the rear of the switch, tightening the thumbscrews on each side of the
cable management bracket.
- Install the cable management bracket cover.
- Tighten the thumbscrews on each side of the cover.
- Attach the management cables.
See Attach the Management Cables.