How to Install a CPU Module (CMOD)
An animation of the procedure to install a CMOD is available. See
animation showing CMOD installation.
Before You Begin
- Locate the module slot that you need to populate.
For slot designations and population rules, see CPU Module (CMOD) Designation and Population Rules.
- If necessary, remove the filler or CMOD that occupies the slot. See How to Remove a CMOD Filler
or How to Remove a CPU Module (CMOD).
- Orient the CMOD so that the cover faces upward.
- Carefully slide the module into the chassis until it stops.
Do not force the module into the chassis in an attempt to
engage the connectors on the chassis midplane.
- Open the CMOD levers to the fully open position by squeezing together the
green locking tabs on the lever handles and rotating both handles outward, away
from the center of the module.
The levers do not extend beyond 90 degrees.
- Ensure that the pawl on the end of each lever is aligned
with the rectangular slot in the chassis sidewall.
Caution - Pinch point. Keep your fingers clear of the back side of the lever,
the lever hinges, and the edges of the module.
- To install the CMOD, simultaneously rotate both levers inward toward the center of
the module until the levers lock into place.
This action pushes the module into the chassis and engages the connector on
the back of the module with the connector on the interior midplane. When
the levers are locked, you cannot rotate the levers outward.
- With the levers in the locked position, ensure that the internal connectors are
fully engaged by pushing the ends of the levers inward and releasing when
lever ends touch the front of the CMOD.
Note - Do not unlock the leversNow therto perform this action.
- To latch and lock a filler module, keep your fingers clear of the
back side of the handle and push the lever inward and to
the left until the lock clicks into place.
Caution - Pinch point. When operating the lever, keep your fingers clear of the back
side of the lever, the lever hinges, and the edges of the
This action pushes the filler module into the chassis. When the handle is
locked, you cannot lift the levers without first releasing the lock on the