How to Install the Subassembly Module
Before You Begin
Sun Server X2-8 Subassembly Module Overview
- Prepare the server for service. See How to Prepare for Service.
- Remove the SAM. See .How to Remove the Subassembly Module.
- From the back of the server, ensure that the hard drive backplane cables
are correctly routed. See Hard Drive Backplane Cable Routing and Designations.
- Position the SAM with the fan module drive bay on the left.
- Insert the SAM into rear of the server chassis.
- Carefully slide the SAM into the chassis until it stops.
In this position the screws that secure the SAM to the interior
chassis might not be touching their corresponding screw holes.
- To ensure that the SAM mounting screws touch the interior screw holes on
the chassis, firmly push the SAM inward until you can engage the screws.
- To partially secure the SAM in the server, use a long No.
2 screwdriver to tighten the three right–most green captive screws.
Two of the captive screws are accessible through the airflow vanes of fan
module bays FM 0 and FM 2. To access the screws lift open
the top and bottom airflow vanes.
- To fully secure the SAM in the server, carefully open the air vanes
of the two left FMs and tighten the two green captive screws.
- From the front of the server, connect the three hard drive backplane cables
to the midplane.
- At the rear of the server, install the fan controller boards. See How to Install a Fan Module Controller Board.
- Install the four fan modules. See How to Install a Fan Module.
- Install the network express modules or network express module fillers. See How to Install a NEM or a NEM Filler.
- Install the PCIe express modules or PCIe express module fillers. See How to Install a PCIe EM or PCIe EM Filler.
- Install the SP module. See How to Install the SP Module.
- Connect any cables network cables to the rear of the server.
- Prepare the server for operation. See How to Prepare for Operation.
- Backup and update the FRUID for the SAM serial number. See Managing FRUID Information.