Remove the Motherboard
Caution - Ensure that all power is removed from the server before removing or installing
the motherboard assembly. You must disconnect the power cables from the system before performing
Caution - These procedures require that you handle components that are sensitive to ESD. This
sensitivity can cause the component to fail. To avoid damage, ensure that you follow
antistatic practices as described in ESD Measures.
This is a cold service procedure that must be performed by qualified service
personnel. The system must be completely powered down before performing this procedure. See
Cold Service, Replaceable by Authorized Service Personnel for more information about this category of service procedures.
- Prepare for servicing:
- Attach an antistatic wrist strap.
- Power off the server and unplug power cords from the power supplies.
See Removing Power From the Server.
- Remove the server from the rack.
See Remove the Server From the Rack.
- Remove the top cover.
See Remove the Top Cover.
- Remove the System Configuration PROM from the motherboard so you can reinstall it
on the new motherboard.
- Remove all memory risers and filler panels.
See Remove a Memory Riser.
See Remove a Memory Riser Filler Panel.
- Remove the System Remind button assembly (air divider) by lifting it up and
away from the power supplies.
- Disconnect all cables connected to the motherboard by completing the following tasks.
- Disconnect two cables that connect the motherboard to the drive backplane.
- Disconnect three cables from the motherboard.
- Disconnect the fan board power cable and the ribbon cable from the motherboard.
- Remove the Phillips screw on the cable cover, lift and remove the cover,
and disconnect the two exposed cables from the motherboard.
- Remove the four bus bar screws securing the motherboard to the power supply
See Remove the Power Supply Backplane.
- Remove all PCIe cards from the server.
See Remove a PCIe Card.
- Position the drive end of the cables off to the side using the
tab on the top of the plastic power supply cover.
- Remove the motherboard by completing the following tasks.
- Loosen the captive screw in the corner near the fans that secures the
motherboard to the chassis.
- Grasp the handle on the motherboard and slide it toward the front of
- Lift the motherboard out of the chassis.
- Remove the service processor from the motherboard so you can reinstall it on
the new motherboard.
See Remove the SP.