Remove a PCIe Riser From PCIe Slot 1 or 2
Note - PCIe slot 1 is nonfunctional in single-processor systems.
- Prepare the server for service.
- Power off the server and disconnect the power cords from the power supplies.
See Powering Down the Server
- Extend the server to the maintenance position.
See Extend the Server to the Maintenance Position.
- Attach an antistatic wrist strap.
See Take Antistatic Measures.
- Remove the top cover.
See Remove the Server Top Cover.
- Select the PCIe riser that you want to remove.
See PCIe Slot Characteristics.
- If a PCIe card is installed in the riser, disconnect any external or
internal cables from the card.
- Lift the green-tabbed latch on the rear of the server's chassis next to
the applicable PCIe slot to release the PCIe card's rear bracket .
Note - If the riser does not have a PCIe card installed, then lift the
latch to release the PCIe slot filler panel.
- Lift the riser release lever with one hand and use your other hand
to remove the riser from the motherboard [2, 3].
The release lever is marked with a green tab.
- If there is a PCIe card installed in the riser, place the riser
on an antistatic mat and make a note of the slot in which
the PCIe riser was originally installed; otherwise, set the PCIe riser aside.