Remove a Processor Module
- Locate the processor module in the server that you want to remove.
See Locate a Faulty Processor Module to locate a faulty processor module.
- Power off the server.
See Removing Power From the Server
- Squeeze the release latches together on the two extraction levers and pull the
extraction levers out to disengage the processor module from the server.
- Pull the processor module halfway out of the server.
- Press the levers back together, toward the center of the processor module.
This will keep the levers from getting damaged when you remove the processor
module from the server.
- Using two hands, completely remove the processor module and place the module on
an antistatic mat.
Caution - Do not touch the connectors at the rear of the processor module.
- Remove the cover from the processor module:
- Press down on the green button at the top of the cover to
disengage the cover from the processor module.
- Keeping the button pressed down, push the cover toward the rear of the
processor module and lift the cover up and away from the processor module.
- Determine if you are replacing a faulty processor module or if you are
replacing or installing DIMMs within the processor module.
- If you are replacing a faulty processor module, follow these steps:
- Remove all DIMMs from the faulty processor module and set them in a
See Remove a DIMM. You will install the DIMMs into the new processor module after
you have replaced the faulty module. You should install the DIMMs in the
same slots in the new processor module when you remove them from the
old, faulty module, especially if you have mixed memory configurations in old processor module.
You can accomplish this by moving the DIMMs over one at a time,
from the old processor module to the same slots in the new module,
or by laying the DIMMs out on a flat, safe surface in left-to-right
rows and groups, and then installing them in the new module in the
- Install a replacement processor module in the server.
See Install a Processor Module. If you are not replacing the processor module right away, you
must install a processor module filler panel to ensure adequate airflow in the
- If you are replacing or installing DIMMs within the processor module, see Servicing DIMMs.