Siebel Incentive Compensation Administration Guide > Sales Hierarchies >
Example Processes for Sales Hierarchies
The following section describes processes a compensation administrator, territory owner, delegated administrator, and sales manager might follow to set up and use sales hierarchies and territories. Your company may follow a different process according to its business requirements.
Figure 3 shows the Sales Hierarchy Admin Explorer view with hierarchy, hierarchy version, territory, position, and associated credit rule relationships.
Figure 3. Sales Hierarchy Admin Explorer View, Expanded
The administrator performs the following procedures when defining sales hierarchies, versions and so on.
- Creates sales hierarchies. Administrators can use the Sales Hierarchy Admin Explorer view to create one or more sales hierarchies, and specify which organizations can access the hierarchies. For more information, see Creating a Sales Hierarchy.
- Creates sales hierarchy versions. After creating the Sales Hierarchy, the administrator drills down to the Territories folder and adds the highest level territory. The top territory in a hierarchy version is called the root. For more information, see Creating a Sales Hierarchy Version.
- Creates territories and child territories. The administrator drills down on the root territory, and then creates a child territory. The parent-child relationship can also be defined by selecting a parent territory in the Parent Territory field in a Territory record. For more information, see Creating a Territory.
- Defines the positions and crediting rules. In each Territory definition, the administrator designates the owner, other or delegated administrator position, and specifies the crediting rules. For more information, see Adding a Position to a Territory and Adding a Crediting Rule to a Territory.
- Associates the territories to a version. The administrator associates the territories with a sales hierarchy version. For more information, see Associating Territories with a Sales Hierarchy Version.
- Performs validation. The administrator validates the Hierarchy Version, Territory, Territory Position, and Crediting Rule before submitting them for approval. Validation verifies that the objects are properly created. For more information, see Validation and Validating Sales Hierarchy Components.
- Submits the territories for approval. Submitting a territory for approval automatically submits for approval the territory definitions, including territory positions and crediting rules. The administrator can optionally submit each individual territory position and crediting rule for approval. For more information, see Approval Process and Submitting a Territory for Approval.
- Submits the sales hierarchy version for approval. When a Sales Hierarchy Version is approved, it becomes read-only. For more information, see Submitting a Sales Hierarchy Version for Approval.
In addition, the administrator performs the following maintenance tasks.
- Submits a territory version for expiration. For more information, see Submitting a Sales Hierarchy Version for Expiration.
- Adds new territory positions after approval. For more information, see Adding a New Territory Position After Approval.
- Designates a credit rule as expired. For more information, see Designating a Crediting Rule as Expired.
Territory Owner and Delegated Administrator Process
Territory owners and delegated administrators can perform the following procedures.
- View owned territories. The delegated administrator and territory owner can view owned territories and subterritories, and modify details.
- Modify positions and rules. The delegated administrator and territory owner can modify, add, and delete territory positions and crediting rules. For more information, see Performing Owner and Delegated Administrator Tasks.
Sales Manager Process
Sales managers can perform the following procedures.
- Review sales hierarchies. For more information, see Reviewing a Sales Hierarchy (Manager).
- Accept or reject sales hierarchies. For more information, see Approving a Sales Hierarchy Version (Manager).