How to Set Up a New Local Printer
The following procedure describes how to set up a new locally
attached printer by using the CUPS Print Manager GUI.
- Connect the new printer to your local system, then power
- When the printer is detected by the system, the Printer
configuration dialog appears, displaying information about the newly
- If you are adding a new printer that was not automatically
detected, do the following:
- Start CUPS Print Manager by choosing System → Administration →
Print Manager from the desktop's main menubar or by typing the following
command in a terminal window:
- Choose Server → New → Printer from the main
Alternatively, you can click the New icon that is
located on the menubar.
- When prompted, type the root password.
The Printer configuration dialog appears, displaying all of
the configured printers and the newly connected printer.
- In the Select Device window, select the appropriate device,
then click Forward.
By default, CUPS selects the USB device
that is physically connected to your system or the device that was
detected by HAL. Note that these two entries might be for the same
printer. For more information about selecting a device, see Selecting a Print Device.
- In the Choose Driver window, select a make
for your printer, then click Forward.
- Determine whether to accept the default printer driver
or provide a PPD file.
- To use the default driver, leave the Select Printer From
Database option selected.
- To provide a PPD file:
- Select the Provide PPD File option.
a File window is displayed.
- Locate the specified PPD file on your system, then click
Open to associate the PPD file with the new printer.
- From the left pane of the next Choose Driver window, select
a printer model. From the right pane, select a printer driver. Then,
By default, CUPS selects a “recommended”
printer model and driver for your printer. However, you can optionally
make another selection from the list of available drivers.
- In the Installable Options window, change any of the options
that are available for your particular printer model, then click Forward.
For more information, see Configurable
- In the Describe Printer window, provide the following
- To save your changes, click Apply. If prompted, type the root password.
After you have saved your changes,
the newly configured printer is displayed in the CUPS Print Manager
- (Optional)To set the printer as the default,
right-click the printer name.
- Choose the Set as Default option.
- In the Set Default Printer window, choose one of the following
- Click OK to save the printer configuration.
- (Optional)To verify that the printer is configured
correctly and is working, print a test page.