Install a Data Cable
Before You Begin
Note - These instructions are valid for both InfiniBand data cables and pre-assembled Ethernet splitter data
cables. See Gateway Installation, assembling the Ethernet splitter data cables, for instructions how to assemble
Ethernet splitter data cables.
- Identify the prerequisite and subsequent service tasks you must perform in conjunction with this
See Servicing Data Cables.
- Determine your next steps:
- If you are cabling an entire gateway after a replacement procedure, locate the cable
for the connector 0B and go to Step 5.
- If you are installing a replacement cable to the gateway, start the procedure
at Step 3.
- Inspect the replacement data cable.
See Inspecting the Data Cables.
- Bring the replacement cable to the gateway.
- Feed the cable through the cable management hardware.
- Orient the cable connector to the QSFP receptacle squarely and horizontally.
Ensure that the L groove is up for the top row of
receptacles, or that the L groove is down for the bottom row of
Note - On some QSFP cable connectors, there is a retraction strap. Both the retraction
strap and L groove indicate the reference surface for the connector. When installing
QSFP cables in the top row receptacles (0A, 1A, 2A, and so on),
ensure that the L groove and retraction strap are up. When installing QSFP
cables in the bottom row receptacles (0B, 1B, 2B, and so on) ensure
that the L groove and retraction strap are down. See Identify the Data Cable.
- Slowly move the connector in.
As you slide the connector in, the shell should be in the center
of the QSFP receptacle.
If the connector stops or binds after about 1/4 in. (5 mm) travel, back out and repeat from Step 6.
If the connector stops or binds with about 1/8 in. (2 mm) still to go, back out and repeat Step 7.
- Continue to push the connector in until you feel a detent.
- Secure the cable into the cable management hardware.
Close hook-and-loop fasteners at bundles and securing hard points.
- If you are installing all cables as part of a gateway replacement procedure,
repeat from Step 5 for all cables, including the Ethernet splitter data cables at
connectors 0A and 1A on the right side of the rear panel.
- Replace the cover for the cable management bracket and tighten the thumbscrews.