Prepare to Remove the Midplane
- Halt and power down the server.
See Prepare to Power Off the Server.
- Prepare the front of the server:
- Use an antistatic wrist strap to protect the equipment from ESD damage.
- Remove the front door.
See Remove the Door.
- Remove the side trim panels.
Also remove the three lower trim panel standoffs on each side, to protect
the standoffs from breakage. Do not remove the top cap or the kick
See Remove the Trim Panels .
- Remove the front filler panel.
See Remove the Front Filler Panel.
- Remove the upper fan cage.
See Remove the Upper Fan Cage.
- Remove the scalability card cage.
See Remove the Scalability Card Cage.
- Remove the lower fan cage.
See Remove the Lower Fan Cage.
- Remove the scalability assembly.
See Remove the Scalability Assembly.
- Prepare the rear of the server:
- Remove the CMUs from the rear of the server.
See Remove a CMU .
- Remove the SPPs from the rear of the server.
See Remove an SPP.
- Prepare the inside of the server:
- At the front of the server, insert cable ties in slots on the
bottom of the power system cage.
You will be using the cable ties to raise cable assemblies for access
to the midplane.
- Unlock and detach the CMU data cable assemblies.
There are two metal locking levers on each CMU data cable assembly. The
metal locking levers push against plastic locking tabs that are part of the
CMU power cable assembly.
- Push up slightly on the plastic locking tab, and then pull down a
- Repeat for the second lever.
- Pull the CMU data cable assembly out of the midplane and let the
assembly hang loose while you remove other assemblies in steps.
- Detach the remaing sets of data cable assemblies.
- Unlock and detach the cabled lower bus bar assemblies:
Remove two T20 Torx screws that hold an assembly to the midplane, and
then pull the assembly out of the midplane. Detach all four assemblies.
Note - Take care not to drop the screws. These are not captive screws.
Note - Do not place screws or other loose hardware on the “shelves” of the
midplane. Small items can easily fall inside the cabinet.
- Use a T20 Torx driver to detach the SPP cables.
- Raise the cable assemblies that you loosened and tie them neatly to the
top of the midplane area.
- Remove the old midplane.
See Remove the Midplane.