Remove the Upper Fan Cage
- Use an antistatic wrist strap to protect the equipment from ESD damage.
- Remove the front door.
See Remove the Door.
- Remove trim panels to protect them from being scratched.
See Remove the Trim Panels to remove the following parts.
- Remove the two side trim panels.
- Remove trim panel standoffs.
Remove the standoffs nearest to the upper fan cage to protect them from
- Remove the front filler panel.
See Remove the Front Filler Panel.
- Remove the fan modules from the fan cage.
See Remove a Fan Module.
Place the fan modules on a grounded mat for safety.
The empty cage weighs 35 lb (16 kg).
- Loosen the captive screws at the four corners of the fan cage.
See detail 1 below.
Note - The scalability card cage has been omitted from the illustration for clarity. Do
not remove the scalability card cage.
- Remove the fan cage:
- Pull the fan cage out approximately 1 in (25 mm) until it is
free of the guide pins at the rear of the slot.
See detail 2 above.
- Tilt the fan cage and pull it out of the slot.
Tilt rear of the fan cage up approximately 15 degrees to bypass the
top of the scalability card cage.
See detail 3 above.
- Install the replacement fan cage.
See Install the Upper Fan Cage.